Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 15, 2006, 9:02 PM   #1

Hi,

Which raw converters is your favorite?

I tried to use Bible and Pentax Laboratory but still doubt whether these one is the best converter for Pentax's raw. On my several attempt both Raw converter give color noise at ISO higher than 200. I have to eliminate this noise on PSEL 4. It doesn't happen when I shot directly in JPEG format.

Please, tell me your potentials Raw Converter.

Regards,

RTogog
rtogog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2006, 10:23 PM   #2

I Have Photoshop Elements 4 With Adobe ACR 3.3 and i like it. However, I love and use all the time "Raw Shooter'" It comes in 2 versions : Free Raw Shooter essentials 2006 and for Pay Raw Shooter Premium. I used the free version for awhile and loved it So much I Upgraded to Premium.http://www.pixmantec.com/products/ra...essentials.asp

BK

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 10:23 PM   #3

Sorry double post
Old Apr 16, 2006, 8:32 AM   #4

BK

What's the diffeence between the free and the pay versions, what extras does the premium version give you? :|
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 8:47 AM   #5

Hi Crashman

I Stink at describing Things however. There is Vibrance Controls, levels, Curves, among many others. Heres a Blurb From RS

[align=left]RawShooter | premium 2006 compared to RawShooter | essentials 2006 includes extra functionality such as:[/align]
  • RAW vs. RAW Comparison [/*]
  • Curves / Levels Support [/*]
  • Integrated Downloader [/*]
  • Personalized Appearance [/*]
  • FastBrowse [/*]
  • Cropping [/*]
  • Image straighting / Arbitrary Rotation [/*]
  • Magnifier [/*]
  • FastProof Mode [/*]
  • Batch/bulk Renaming [/*]
  • Output Resizing [/*]
  • Correction Tools (Vibrance, Color Balance, Noise Suppression) [/*]
  • Enhanced White Balance Correction [/*]
  • Extended Color Support
[/*]
[align=left]You Might want To Check out the Competitive Matrix . The Matrix Gives you the Compareson with ACR3.3[/align]

[align=left]You can also Purchase RAW SHOOTER Color Engine it adds additional Camera specific Color profiles [/align]

[align=left]http://www.pixmantec.com/products/ra...lor_engine.asp[/align]

[align=left]Hope this answers your questions[/align]
[align=left]BK[/align]

[align=justify]
[/align]

[align=right][/align]

Old Apr 16, 2006, 9:16 AM   #6

I've tried them all & to be honest, for processing typically in excess of 100 shots, I've found Pentax Photolab v2 to produce favourable results. When set on AUTO, the results appear much the same as when JPEG is used but with improved sharpness.

Occasionally, I use the converter in Adobe Photoshop CS2 to process a few that PPL v2 fail to get right BUT that doesn't happen too often.

I've posted several comparisons in earlier topics if you fee like downloading these full size version - free free:

http://www.catbells.plus.com/Utiliti...Comparison.jpg

http://www.catbells.plus.com/Utilities/Comparison.jpg

In conclusion - use PPLv2 then Adobe ACR 3.3
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 10:47 AM   #7

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

BK,

At the advice of many on this forum, I downloaded and installed RSE. Great program! However, for the life of me I cannot figure out how to save an edited image as a jpeg file! Am I missing something obvious, or are the directions burried somewhere deep in the manual? I was expecting to see an icon that would enable the save to be completed in a couple of steps.

FYI, I have been using the Pentax Photo Lab and like it a lot too...especially the access to the customizable curve (not available in the free RSE).

One problem with Pentax and RSE is that you can only see RAW images. I tend to shoot a combo of RAW and JPEG (to save memory space), and therefore have to use something like ACDC to edit my JPEGS. I found however, that Picassa (free by Google) can read and edit both and seems to be as functionally capable as RSE!

Regards, J
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 12:23 PM   #8

jelpee, check out Picassa carefully, it may only be opening the jpeg thumbnail embedded in the PEF file. How large are your resulting jpeg files (in pixel resolution) afteryour PEF fileshave been "converted", they should be 2000X3008. When I used Picassa with my Fuji S7000 files all it did was extract the embedded jpg thumbnail which was only an email sized image.

I have tried ACR, RSE, and PPL (don't you just love all these initials). My opinions (please note that I rarely use RAW so my opinion is not based on a lot of experience) are as follows:

- ACR, I used it with CS2 on a computer which did not have the performance to run it quickly. It did an excellent job in its default setting but since my computer is not the latest and greatest I would probably prefer it with the latest version of Elements. I liked it but it is expensive and CS2 is slow on lower performance computers.

- RSE, This was worth the money, wait a minute, it was free!!! This is a nice program that gives good results. For me it took a little more fiddling than ACR but the results were good and it was reasonably fast and very powerful (there are many features beyond just conversion even in the free version). The user interface was a little strange however, it didn't really look like a windows application which made some features harder to find at first. Overall I liked it, and the performance advantage makes it my choice over ACR.

- PPL v2.1, This is also a very slow program (slows to a crawl on my computer when you use the enlarge window). The v2 will not work with cameras after the DS so any advantage it may have had is not valid here. It processes batches of pictures very effectively, and allows adjustment sets to be saved for similar future images. I have used it most because of the simple batch option which lets me walk away while it processes large numbers of files. RSE may be the best option here in many ways but the Pentax software should not be sold short, it is quite good when you get used to it.

Conclusion, if I could afford a super high performance computer and still had hundreds left over I would get CS2 with Adobe camera raw. However I am not financially well heeled so I will have to stick with my current computer and software. I will probably use PPL and my old PS Elements (original version 1) when ever I have a lot of files and RSE when I want to play around with files more (mostly because it runs much faster on my PC). As for image quality and noise, I haven't done enough to comment on the final product, just the process.

Sorry for using so many words to say nothing, perhaps I have a future in politics.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 6:18 PM   #9

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
Hi Jelpee

It is very easy. Once, you are Done processing the picture. Click On the Batch processing tab. If its not already there Click On More options at the Very Top. If You see "Less options you are already there"
Once this is done. Part way down you will see a box "File format units" Set that to JPEG and Directly Below that is Quality, set that to what you want. Then Highlight the picture or pictures you want convert and click on the ADD button towards the middle and you Will see the files appear and start converting.
Using the "Naming and output locations Button Will Change the default location where it saves the pictures.

There are additional Features, But i am using the Premium version and i am not sure that they are in the free version.

This Might Be there, but i am Not sure. One of these Features is the Ability To have the JPEGS Open in Your Favorite Editior. there is a Check Box that says "Open With" You Check the Box and Tell It Via Drop down Box which Program To Use.

Hope this helps
BK
Old Apr 16, 2006, 6:32 PM   #10

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Ira : Thanks! Wow..that is a lot to digest! You sound like you have spent a lot of time working with all these programs. Re. Picassa, my JPEG's appear to be maintained in their original format once exported. I will keep my eyes open for what you describe though.

BK: Thanks for the directions on saving to JPEG from RSE. Easy to follow..and they work! I'm looking forward to posting more pictures from my DL in the coming days.

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote