Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 17, 2006, 10:54 AM   #11

RiceHigh wrote:
Quote:
errno_gmm wrote:
Quote:
Why dont you write a letter to the CEO of Pentax?
Good idea, my friend, but pls draft the letter for me first. I bet that you want to sign on the letter for what you suggested, too.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
Quote:
It was a joke, Ricehigh, because 90% of your threads seem to be a Pentax bash
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 11:01 AM   #12

errno_gmm wrote:
Quote:
RiceHigh wrote:
Quote:
errno_gmm wrote:
Quote:
Why dont you write a letter to the CEO of Pentax?
Good idea, my friend, but pls draft the letter for me first. I bet that you want to sign on the letter for what you suggested, too.

RiceHigh
Quote:
It was a joke, Ricehigh, because 90% of your threads seem to be a Pentax bash
I have never taken your above message seriously, as it is obvious for what you meant, you know.

RiceHigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 11:04 AM   #13

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
And as I mentioned before, the Nikon D70 and D200 have the same issue. It is not a Pentax only problem!

Tom
D70 and D200 each has a different sensor. But then, this still isn't a good excuse for making incompatible stuff. Technically, it won't be too difficult to unify the format, but the manufacturers just don't care.

For the case of Pentax, they created different PEF formats even they use the same sensor! This is hardly explainable indeed.

I think it is unarguable that it will be a big benefit to any Pentax RAW shooter if the PEF file format is unified.

RiceHigh
Old Apr 17, 2006, 12:20 PM   #14

If all the manufacturers started using DNG then none of this would be an issue.

Anyway, I understand that the latest Pentax photolab software opens all the PEF raw files? Is it too much of a hassle for users to update their software like they should be doing anyway?
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 12:56 PM   #15

errno_gmm wrote:
Quote:
Is it too much of a hassle for users to update their software like they should be doing anyway?
Updates to software do not always bring about improvements; due to personal preference, I'm still using Paint Shop Pro v7 (latest is v9), ACDSee v5 (latest is v8 )& Pentax Photolab v2.

In respect of PPL v2, I still maintain that it produces better images than PPL v2-1 albeit that it can't process more than 90 images without crashing.

My version of XP is still at SP1 as SP2 imposes too many security constraints on my hard disk that it's a pain to use.

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 1:19 PM   #16

Updating Pentax software doesn't help me when ACR won't read the files in CS.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 3:06 AM   #17

what am I missing here?are we b*&#*# about file formats from cameras we dont yet own?is there no way to get this oh so new file format onto a computer and converted to DNG which is a way better DAM scheme anyhow as it is more likely to be carried over to newer as yet unseen computer systems as we keep our archives from one computer system to the next?and what is backward and forward compatibility? I only own one dslr at present but am a little lost how PEF format for one model vrs another model will render my gear incompatible.
jnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 6:36 AM   #18

jnorth wrote:
Quote:
what am I missing here?are we b*&#*# about file formats from cameras we dont yet own?is there no way to get this oh so new file format onto a computer and converted to DNG which is a way better DAM scheme anyhow as it is more likely to be carried over to newer as yet unseen computer systems as we keep our archives from one computer system to the next?and what is backward and forward compatibility? I only own one dslr at present but am a little lost how PEF format for one model vrs another model will render my gear incompatible.
Forward and backward compatiblity is simply about whether:-

1. Your old software (RAW convertors, photo viewers, etc.) or even hardware (e.g. Portable Media Player like the Epson P-2000 etc.) will be able to handle your new PEF RAW files;

2. The old PEF files will be able to be processed and supported by new hardware and software;

So, the minimal change in file format is always desirable so as to ensure the best forward and backward compatibility. If there is a change for whatever reason(s), I think Pentax should at least ensure the best possible forward and backward compatiblity with their hardware and software first.

RiceHigh