Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 16, 2006, 7:09 AM   #1

Firstly, the fact is that the "PEF" RAW file formatS of the *ist D, *ist DS, *ist DL are all different, i.e., 3 different formats, despite they are just all called the PEF.

I have just downloaded the "PEF" files of the coming new Pentax DSLR K-100D (tentative name) from the following Russian links listed:-

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=18033866

I found that this new PEF is somehow DL's one alike but now that the AWB information cannot be retrieved anymore by the Silkpix!(?). Thus, it would mean that a fourth format is created by Pentax! It can be retrieved by *my* Pentax PHoto Browser 2.11 but again it cannot be opened by *my* Pentax Photo Lab 2.10 for the *ist DS (Do note that the PPL 2.1 for the DS is DIFFERENT from the PPL 2.1 for the DL, despite Pentax have never told this. What an amazing software version numbering afterall!)

But I just wish to ask why this is needed?? Do Pentax really need to change the "PEF" file format each time for a new DSLR? What is/are the benefit(s) for doing so?? Well, at least I know this would cause much inconvenience for the old users and software vendors.. just because of the *always* changing of file format is causing incompatibility problem from time to time.

Ironically, I chose Pentax in the 80s because Pentax *was* the best company who committed in ensuring the best possible backward and forward company in those days. Thus, this was a very good reason for me to enter into their system. But now..
Anyway, this reflects the attitude and responsibliness of a company, to a very high extent.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2006, 7:14 AM   #2

RiceHigh wrote:
Quote:
Ironically, I chose Pentax in the 80s because Pentax *was* the best company who committed in ensuring the best possible backward and forward company in those days. Thus, this was a
There was a typo. I meant "backward and forward compatibility"..

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh[/quote]
Old Apr 16, 2006, 9:22 AM   #3

I have also questioned this in an earlier thread BUT specifically with the *istDS * *isDL which use the same CCD.

I can understand that with different CCDs there might be a need to change the format BUT the basic data that it saves to reconstitute a colour image from the grey scale that it saves must surely be the same.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 12:37 PM   #4

The sad part of this is that the files may actually be identical except for a reference to the camera name which is stored in the PEF file. I am not certain if this is true or not, but if this is the case why didn't the software engineers just put *istD to cover all of the current *istD(S,L,S2,L2) models, and then just go with a new format when they actually have a different sensor?

I am cautious about this statement because I am not absolutely certain that this is the only issue, anyone know for sure?

As for --"I found that this new PEF is somehow DL's one alike but now that the AWB information cannot be retrieved anymore by the Silkpix!(?)"-- this may be an issue caused by the fact that this software is not compatible with the latest Pentax camera firmware. I think you will find similar issues with third party software on all camera brands from time to time.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 1:04 PM   #5

Are you sure the sensor is the same, or did Pentax go with a Samsung sensor in the DL and DS2?

Nikon seems to have the same problem, with the file from the D70 being different from the D200, so it is not specific to Pentax.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 2:06 AM   #6

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Are you sure the sensor is the same, or did Pentax go with a Samsung sensor in the DL and DS2?
Pentax tells in the FAQ section of their digital support page that the DS and D have the same sensor.

Quote:
Nikon seems to have the same problem, with the file from the D70 being different from the D200, so it is not specific to Pentax.
It's marginally acceptable for that because they have a different sensor. But ideally, the RAW should be kept, regardless of pixel count and sensor make.

The problem with Pentax is that it sesms that they use the same sensor in all DSLR bodies but just keep changing the RAW PEF file format for whatever reason(s).

RiceHigh
Old Apr 17, 2006, 4:38 AM   #7

Why dont you write a letter to the CEO of Pentax?
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 8:41 AM   #8

errno_gmm wrote:
Quote:
Why dont you write a letter to the CEO of Pentax?
Good idea, my friend, but pls draft the letter for me first. I bet that you want to sign on the letter for what you suggested, too.

RiceHigh
Old Apr 17, 2006, 9:34 AM   #9

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
The sad part of this is that the files may actually be identical except for a reference to the camera name which is stored in the PEF file. I am not certain if this is true or not, but if this is the case why didn't the software engineers just put *istD to cover all of the current *istD(S,L,S2,L2) models, and then just go with a new format when they actually have a different sensor?

I am cautious about this statement because I am not absolutely certain that this is the only issue, anyone know for sure?

As for --"I found that this new PEF is somehow DL's one alike but now that the AWB information cannot be retrieved anymore by the Silkpix!(?)"-- this may be an issue caused by the fact that this software is not compatible with the latest Pentax camera firmware. I think you will find similar issues with third party software on all camera brands from time to time.

Ira
From what I understand this is correct. A lot of the RAW converters identify the RAW format with the camera name stored in it. So there isn't any major difference in the format.

This just happened with the C*n 20d and 30d formats as well and they use the same sensor.
pic_*ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 10:41 AM   #10

And as I mentioned before, the Nikon D70 and D200 have the same issue. It is not a Pentax only problem!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote