Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 16, 2006, 9:00 PM   #1

I took this with my A* 200 2.8 in the half hour before sun set and this is the full frame, with no crop. Just sitting trying to relax, and I was forced to sit up and take a photo.

Tom

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2006, 9:47 PM   #2

Tom,
You got it at the right moment in terms of lighting and focus. One can have a shot like that once a little while.
I could have got A*200 a week ago (via Henrys of Toronto) using my advance purchase money for 09. But I could not handle A or M lens either because of my DL or my eyesight. If I want to keep my lens handheld, 200mm is my extreme reach given some practice.
Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 10:15 PM   #3

Daniel,

I don't know about the DL, but with my DS the focus indicators work pretty well telling you when the image is in focus. This was shot with spot meter because of the lighting situation and the ISO was 400. My eyes are not what they use to be, but the viewfinder in the DS makes critical focus pretty easy even with a MF lens.

I sit by the place where the creek flows into the pond quite a bit when the weather is good just to relax, but I always take my DS just in case something comes along.

Tom
Old Apr 16, 2006, 10:44 PM   #4

Tom, the DL viewfinder is actually a little brighter than the DS but the magnification is a little less. As for the focus confirmation signal, I find it is not always accurate enough. I ordered a split image rangefinder screen but haven't received it yet, I hope it works and still allows accurate metering and AF.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 10:59 PM   #5

Ira,

Thanks for the DL info since I have never used one.

I don't really use the focus indicators to focus with (I have them all turned on) but I do use them to see where the focus is in the frame to make sure the focus is where I want it to be and then use the viewfinder for confirmation.

I have a split image screen in my LX and have found it to be less than accurate in macro situations, which is why I still use the stock screen on my DS. I also find it much faster than a split screen, especially when photographing fast moving objects like the Gull photos.

Tom
Old Apr 16, 2006, 11:01 PM   #6

What a great capture - perfect location and timing. I, too, have wondered a bit about the focus indicator, but have usually found it pretty accurate. The times I've had problems have been when I've had too small a DOF and the camera has focused on something I didn't intend. Or I've been too close to the subject.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 1:59 AM   #7

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
I took this with my A* 200 2.8 in the half hour before sun set and this is the full frame, with no crop. Just sitting trying to relax, and I was forced to sit up and take a photo.

Tom
Lovely!

Do they sell more houses in that zoo where you apparently live?

Kjwll
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 8:41 AM   #8

Thanks!

I just live in a rural area of Northwestern Wisconsin, where we have lots of animals and birds living also. This is one of the reasons I no longer live in a large City, so I can enjoy more of the simple things in life and no spend half my life in my vehicle.

Tom
Old Apr 17, 2006, 12:38 PM   #9

Thats the way I like it too. Nearest city or town? (For a Google Earth searc)

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 4:59 PM   #10

i never tried it yet but there a choice on the AF for the middle or sides points. i say in most shooting of one subject i use the middle one. to fade out background.
Andre_L is offline   Reply With Quote