Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 11, 2006, 10:46 PM   #41

We have zinnas planted behind our house. This one is just opening. You can see the "fuzz" on what will soon be the underside of the petals.

f8 1/6sec ISO 200 sigma 28-300 @ 300mmon DS

Attached Images

pentax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 10:59 PM   #42

pentax4me wrote: [quote]We have zinnas planted behind our house. This one is just opening. You can see the "fuzz" on what will soon be the underside of the petals.

f8 1/6sec ISO 200 sigma pentax4me

problem here is you took this at a 1/6sec and probably handheld.. at this speed, you need a tripod.. there is not a place in this image that's in focus or doesn't exhibit camera shake.. we expect image reviews when we post them and this is just my 2cents.. in time you will get better.. technique is something you need to study.

roy
Old Jul 12, 2006, 12:16 AM   #43

Robar-

Thanks for the (stinging) reply. Actually, I did use a tripod and 2 second delay. There's no handshake in the image, it's just plain out of focus. My mistake was that at f8, I believe the flower was just in front of the dof. I had to crop the image so tight to get the file size small enough to post thatany in-focus portion has been cropped out.

I just checked some dof calculations. Man!! at 300mm dof is extremely small!! I knew it was tight, but not that tight. I was experimenting with aperture size/dof. I'll try again with a wider field of view and back away a bit in order to get more dof.

Thanks for the critique.

pentax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 2:58 PM   #44

I've been using f22 on my 100mm Phoenix lens when shooting macro flowers, unless I want almost pinpoint focus. Even using f22, I've sometimes found it a little too small.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote