Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 23, 2006, 9:41 AM   #1

i have just bought a ds+18-55 lense, i have read a lot of posts about raw, as i am new to digital slr i did not know what to expect, so i took two photos one in best jpeg and one in raw, i used the software that came with the camera in the automatic mode, but i could not tell them appart, do you think i should have used the manual mode and if so what settings would you recommend, lastly what should raw be saved to tiff or jpeg, and what are the differences, thank you for your help
keithturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2006, 11:44 AM   #2

If you are using Pentax Photolab v2-1 then the results that are experiencing are exactly what I achieved & even when RAW images are processed in manual mode they are still not much improved over JPEG.

The version of software that came with my *istDS was v2 which produces MUCH IMPROVED shots over PPL v2-1 - so much so that I've ditched PPL v2-1 & stuck with PPL v2 even though it crashes when trying to process in excess of 90 RAW images.

PPLv2 can be downloaded here in ISO format & burnt to CD using Ahead Nero (or whatever) - it's about 50Megs.

http://www.catbells.plus.com/Utiliti...PHOTOLABV2.ISO
Attached Images

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2006, 11:48 AM   #3

Previously, I've played some more with the RAW converters at my disposal & concluded that Pentax PhotoLab is closer to what might be expected when compared with JPEG - straight out of the camera.

Colours are more accurate with Pentax Photolab - overall sharpness is also better.

Full size image can be viewed here:

http://www.catbells.plus.com/Utiliti...Comparison.jpg

Colours look smoother with Pentax Photolab, Adobe PhotoShop CS2 comes 2nd, Bibble possibly 3rd with Capure One forth - I couldn't get Capture One to improve on the colours which would have positioned it higher up.

The exercise was worthwhile as I now shoot in RAW for processing in Pentax PhotoLab v2-1.
Attached Images

Old Apr 24, 2006, 4:27 AM   #4

????????

why even shoot in raw if you are going to let a program automatically process the images??????????? that defeats the reason of shooting in raw.

roy
Old Apr 24, 2006, 6:20 AM   #5

being new to raw i wanted to see what the difference was, as a starting point what manual settings would you recommend, i am using ppl v2, does it help to change the in camera saturation,sharpness and contrast settings from default, thanks
keithturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 11:24 AM   #6

robar wrote:
Quote:
????????

why even shoot in raw if you are going to let a program automatically process the images??????????? that defeats the reason of shooting in raw.

roy
No it doesn't 'cause the auto processed RAW images are sharper than JPEG & from experience provide 95% of the output that I require - I can fall back on the RAW image at any time to manipulate it should it be necessary. This gives me the best of both worlds so it hardly defeats the object merely giving me more options.

Using PPL v2 gives a quick conversion that satisfies MY needs. Any individual images that don't AUTO convert, I process separately in Adobe Photoshop CS2.

My initial response was to the question that PPL v2-1 RAW processed images look the same as JPEG which I agreed with & provided additional useful information for keithturnerwho originally asked the question.

Old Apr 25, 2006, 4:07 AM   #7

i see.. thanks
Old Apr 25, 2006, 10:42 PM   #8

I shoot mostly in raw and end up doing each photo individually. I prefer to use Adobe Camera Raw with CS2 because I can make all my changes before converting to jpg, when I use PhotoLab I'll save to jpg and then open in Photoshop for other modifications (resizing, cropping, unsharp mask, etc.).

ACR occasionally does weird things with color, especially if the picture is underexposed and/or doesn't have much contrast. I can't always get it to look the same as PhotoLab sees it automatically. I like the curves adjustment in PhotoLab better than the one in ACR - I've never been able to work curves very well in Photoshop (prefer levels, I seem to understand it better for some reason). I find that each photo is different - many I just use automatic, some I adjust the contrast with the curve tool in PhotoLab. Luckily, I don't take so many photos that I can't "process" each one individually.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 10:58 AM   #9

Shot using the Pentax 50-200mm DA at closest focus set to 200mm (300mm in 35mm terms) to look at the differences between RAW, JPEG, Vivid & Natural colour settings.
Attached Images

Old Apr 26, 2006, 11:04 AM   #10

Here's the RAW Vivid image post processed in Photoshop
Attached Images