Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 24, 2006, 11:23 AM   #1

enjoy everyone's photos and thought the reverse might be true. first time posting pictures so please forgive if i goof up :G.

frogs and grouse taken with sigma 70-300 @ 300mm, f/5.6, 1/200 or 1/250 and 1/125, ISO 800, hand held. possibly should have kicked her up to ISO 1600? still getting comfortable with the dl and just now trying out the higher ISO's.

the lake is f/22, 1/5, 18mm with the 18-55 kit lens, ISO 200, on a manfrotto tripod. still ice 80 km north of hwy 17 but it's goin' fast.

any critical comments appreciated but i won't be able to reply til the weekend since i'm away at work in the bush all week.

all the best, eric
Attached Images

ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2006, 11:25 AM   #2

not sure how to attach more than one pic, will try posting them in seperate replies.
Attached Images

Old Apr 24, 2006, 11:26 AM   #3

here's another...
Attached Images

Old Apr 24, 2006, 11:28 AM   #4

and one more....
Attached Images

Old Apr 24, 2006, 2:26 PM   #5

Looks like you have the perfect job for getting great outdoor photos.

I really like the grouse photo, but is ISO 800 really required for getting the photos? I use my DS at 400 all the time and have had no problem getting good exposure with all my lenses. ISO 800 gives more noise than 400 and would not be my choice even with the 70-300 lens unless it was overcast and 400 would not work.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 4:01 PM   #6

I like frog #1 a lot! Makes me think "who is looking and who is being looked at, me or the frog?""

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 8:34 AM   #7

Tom, it was about 7.30 am and the sun wasn't over the horizon yet, so at f/5.6 the shutter was 1/125. out of about 10 shots this was the only one that was truly sharp but that may have been focus not camera shake. the lens was all the way out at 300. i was hand holding the camera but maybe i could have used my tripod as a monopod?

and yeah, i carry my camera all day. i'm a contractor so nobody gripes if i want to spend a little time making pictures (although i've gotten funny looks from some of the other guys when they've seen me taking close-ups of flowers and stuff.) most loggers aren't into "art" :G

Kjell, that's exactly what it was like! i was sitting next to what's left of a farm pond hoping the spring peepers would start when i realized i was being watched by this fellow. never did see or hear the peepers. maybe next time.

thanks guys for the feedback, eric