Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 24, 2006, 8:50 PM   #1

Hi guys would like your opinion on this lens i purchased from Henrys slite damage on shipping the switch on the side of lens was brocken off I cant decide if i should send it back for repairs or let it go and get my money back??? I have the pentax 11-17 da.. 18-45 da. and the 50-200 da allready the FA*28-70 2.8 works fine and is increadablly fast focusing are these lenses hard to find is it a keeper they say they will try and fix it thanks
schnauzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2006, 9:05 PM   #2

Call Henry's and talk to them first, they are very cooperative and will probably come up with a solution that is acceptable to you.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 10:28 PM   #3

The FA* 28-70 2.8 is a fantastic lens and the switch on the side controls the Power Zoom feature, which doesn't work on the Pentax DSLR's anyway.

I would try to get Henry's to fix it, but they are becoming very hard to find lately, and I would not loose the lens if you can help it. The shipper should be liable for fixing the switch at Pentax USA if it was insured, so that should be an option also.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 12:04 AM   #4

Thanks for the info guys I think i will try and save the lens they said they would try and have it fixed if not i can live with it, the lens works fine other than that, and since you have said it not needed anyways many thanks
Old Apr 25, 2006, 1:56 AM   #5

The power zoom feature does work on some Pentax film cameras, such as the PZ-1P and MZ-S, so if you have one of those, you may want to have it repaired.

Tom
Old Apr 25, 2006, 2:27 PM   #6

To me the pros/strength of Pentax lens lies in their primes or * primes. I doubt (?) the zoom's performance is better than FA28 28, FA50mm 1.4 and 77mm limited combinted or individually. Already there are some negatives on the heavy construction in Stan's comparison. Zoom's design is always a juggling act with compromise.
Others may have a different view.

Daniel

schnauzer wrote:
Quote:
Hi guys would like your opinion on this lens i purchased from Henrys slite damage on shipping the switch on the side of lens was brocken off I cant decide if i should send it back for repairs or let it go and get my money back??? I have the pentax 11-17 da.. 18-45 da. and the 50-200 da allready the FA*28-70 2.8 works fine and is increadablly fast focusing are these lenses hard to find is it a keeper they say they will try and fix it thanks
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 2:36 PM   #7

But is does perform better than the FA28 28 at the short end, is not quite the quality of the FA50mm 1.4 and 77mm limited, but is a real contender at both of those focal lengths and it is all in one lens instead of three lenses.

Tom
Old Apr 25, 2006, 2:40 PM   #8

Daniel

Quite right, but the Pentax FA* zooms are still way above average in performance and are far more flexible than primes. My attitude has changed a little with the switch to digital, I now prefer to keep my lens changes to a minimum (no sensor dust issues with film, every shot was a new "sensor")so I like zooms more than I did. I am quite happy with my zooms, even though the primes are marginally sharper. A fast zoom gives you the DOF control you need without forcing lens changes in hostile environments.

In a perfect world I would want the lenses you list but given the reality of the situation I would choose the zoom.

BTW my new 24-135mm Sigma f2.8-4.5 is now my standard lens since it is very fast at wide angle and is consistently faster at all other matchingfocal lengths than my previous zooms.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 10:12 PM   #9

Well i sent the lens off for repairs i really wanted it for my trip to California in one week but thats not possible. i have myfour DA lenses though theres lots of sunshine in that neck of the world so they will do just fine. I will be surfing the camera stores on the way down for deals on lenses..Im looking for a cheep 70-300 either sigma, tamron, or pentax the tamron was highly rated in [digital photo] April out of Britain all 3 lenses were rated high