Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 26, 2006, 10:39 AM   #1

I have the following lenses; has anyone used these with the DS2 and with what kind of results? I am at the stage of going to a DSLR and weighing the benefits of going to Pentax having these lenses on hand.

Brand Description Mount Focal Length Aperature Filter Size Other Condition
1. Vivitar Macro Focusing Zoom Pentax K/A 35-200mm 1:3.0-4.5 62mm Rubber Hood Like New
2. Makinon Auto Makinon Pentax K 28mm 1:2.8 52mm Minor scuff on focusing ring
3. Asahi Opt SMC Pentax-M Pentax K 50mm 1:1.7 49mm 81B and PL filters Like New

4. Asahi Opt SMC Pentax Pentax K 15mm 1:3.5 Internal Filters Filters Y2, Skylight, UV, 02 Like New
rgsaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2006, 12:37 PM   #2

I don't have those lenses other than the 50 1.7 which is very sharp, but here is a photo of my DS using a M42 (screw mount) Bellows, M42 135 f/2.5 lens on my DS for a macro shot of a Wood Tick.

Old Pentax glass will work as well or better than it did with film, so if they were not very good with film they won't be any better with digital, if they were good film lenses they almost always work great in digital too.

Photo of setup with my Casio EX-Z600

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 12:59 PM   #3

What is that? Some kind of tick?. Nice shots, I loved the quality from the SMC Pentax lenses, and the Vivitar was pretty good, the Makinon was mediocre. I have been trying to find out some information on the 15mm, ie original price, etc.

rgsaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 1:04 PM   #4

that is insane ennacac, maybe ill try and make a home made bellows
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 3:03 PM   #5

I have the 50mm 1.7 also, along with other K-mount lenses (24 2.8 and a Takumar 135 lens that also came with an ME). The Takumar does better with the DS I have than it did with a film camera.

For those that know such things - is the Vivitar mentioned one of those that would have a problem with the pin? I've read that some 3rd party lenses have a pin that can cause problems when you mount them on the *ist cameras. I had a K-mount Kiron 80-200lens that I used without problems until I got the Pentax 50-200 (better lens than the Kiron, which was a bit soft and had vignetting problems (is that the right term - darkened corners).

I'd definitely recommend getting the Pentax, I love mine!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 4:01 PM   #6

mtngal is right again, check here http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=80&page=1to see if your Vivitar will give problems in mounting on the new Pentax body. The other item about quality, most film lenses that show some corner softness are better on the DSLR because the smaller sensor size leaves out most of the problem area. That is why mtngal finds the mediocre 135mm f2.5 Takumar K-mount to be a very good lens on the digital body. Any lens that gave fair results on film cameras will likely be a little better on digital.

As for the "made for digital" hype, most of it is just that, hype. The only real advantage to the DA lenses is that they are a little smaller because they do not need to project such a large image circle. There are valid arguments about digital sensors being 3d in nature while film is flat but this is not typically an issue for most older lenses. I like the new series of Pentax DA lenses but, except for the excellent wide angle designs, quality FA or older glass will work well optically.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 5:43 PM   #7

Ira,

The Tick photo was taken with the Super-Takumar 135mm f/2.5 on the DS and it seems pretty sharp to me considering I bought it in 1969.

Tom
Old Apr 26, 2006, 6:44 PM   #8

I'd love to trade you your Takumar 135 for mine - mine is the K-mount one that is from 1980 and not even half as good as yours!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 7:39 PM   #9

Tom, as mtngal pointed out I meant the K-mount Takumar budget lenses that were produced from the late 1970s until the 90s I guess. The screw mount Takumars were among the best lenses of their era optically and mechanically.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 8:18 PM   #10

Ira,

I was aware of that, I just wanted to point out which lens it was so it was clear that it was not the K mount version.

Thanks

Tom