Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 27, 2006, 10:54 PM   #1

Im looking for a tele converter for this lens i just bought ,any suggestion should i stick with Pentax brand either 1.4 x or 2x... any one out there have this lens
schnauzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2006, 11:53 PM   #2

I don't have the lens (It's not because I don't want to have it!) but I have another of the biggies and the Pentax Rear Converter A 2X-S which to me seems to be a lot better than any third party alternative. So I suggest that you stick to the brand, that means any of 1.4X-S, 1.4X-L, 2X-S, 2X-L. Any of these can be used with the A* 300 f 2.8. Its another thing with the F/FA* 300 f2,8, in that case the S-versionscannot be used.

Enjoy your new one-of-the-best-ever-made and don't forget to post the pictures (and upgrade your tripod)

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 12:26 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply Kjel .. So i would be better off to get the 1.4 X L or 2XL since they will work with autofocus and manual lenses ?? I will try and post some pics when i learn how thanks FW
schnauzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 7:09 AM   #4

The 1.4X-L was designes for the 300 2.8 and seems to work better than the 1.4X-S does on this and longer Pentax lenses.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 5:13 PM   #5

Yes, but I use the 2X-s with my 600 mm f 5.6 and the results are better than I would get with any third party alternative. So I haven't gone for the 2X-L yet (you can't have everything, someone in charge of the family wallet explains).

Kjell
Attached Images

Old Apr 28, 2006, 9:14 PM   #6

I realize the 1.4X-S will do a great job as anyone can see from your example, but if you don't already have the S then why no get the 1.4X-L that was designed for the long lenses.

Tom
Old Apr 29, 2006, 3:37 AM   #7

For no reason at all! Or maybe because you don't find a L-converter at the right price and at the same time stumble over a S-converter el cheapo as I did.

But note, my moonshot is with the 2X-S, which gives more degradation than the 1.4X, and whichis not optimized for the long lens used as the L-converters are.That in mind, I think anyone can agree that the Pentax converters are good stuff.

Kjell
Old Apr 29, 2006, 9:51 AM   #8

The S version is also more versatile since it can be used on all lenses and not limited to the longer ones like the L version because of its protruding front element.

The Pentax converters are very nice indeed and I think worth the extra money over other brands, even though some of them do a nice job also.

Tom