Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 29, 2006, 6:05 PM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

:?

I've been reading favorable comments on the Pentax 50mm-200mm lens on this forum and am therefore contemplating getting one for my DL. In looking at the accompanying lens hood, can anyone let me know how easy (or difficult) it is to insert/remove the lens cap, or operate a polarizing filter with the lens hood attached. The shape of the hood suggests that it would be difficult. Would appreciate any comments from anyone who is a current owner of this lens.

Thanks, Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2006, 8:23 PM   #2

The lens cap is a bit of a pain to get off when the hood is in place (it can be reversed and carried facing in which makes using the cap no problem). Like the kit lens, there's a little piece that can be removed to rotate a polarizer. I don't have one (polarizer) the right size so I haven't tried to use it yet.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 8:37 PM   #3

mtngal

I was wondering about that, Pentax really has the best lens shades on their new DA lenses, the little removeable door makes things so much easier.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 9:46 PM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

mtngal,

Thanks for the feedeback. I presently use a Sigma 28-105 lens in which, with the hood on, is very difficult to snap on/off the lens cap, and virtually impossible to use a polarizing filter, unless the hood is inserted "backwards" (storage mode). It would be nice if the hood had a wider cone to it in orderto enable easy access to the lens cap as well as a polarizing filter.

The kit lens (28mm-80mm) that came with my 35mm Pentax ZX-L (circa 2001)has a wider hoodwhich does not pose any obstacle to inserting and removing the lens cap. The hood on the Pentax 50-200 does look narrow and long, which is why I was interested to hear current user experiences.

Thanks again.

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 11:53 PM   #5

I wondered if the fact that digital cameras seem to be more sensitive to lens flare is the reason they made it narrower - to add more light blocking capability. I agree that it is annoying - I'm more likely to leave the cap off if I have the hood on, and hope that it will be enough to protect the lens.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote