Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 9, 2006, 8:13 PM   #11

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

This is a somewhat related question: I purchased an 1 G SD Ultra II card which is supposed to have faster write speeds and therefore supposed to allow for faster operation on my DL. However, I must admit that the difference in speed does not appear to be that significant. Has anyone had a similar or different experience?

Thanks, Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 10:02 PM   #12

Jelpee, about how long does it take to write a raw image to that card? I'm about to pull the trigger and order one from Newegg. Also, does anybody know if the 2GB version will work with the DL? Thanks for any info.
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 10:13 PM   #13

go for the Extreme III. they should only be $10 more and they can write @ 20mbps, the II writes at 9/reads at 10, and the regular does 3-4.

fiftiesdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 10:14 PM   #14

Rufus ... see my posts in this thread. My 2 gig works in my DL, but if formatted in the computer it doesn't work in camera, and if formatted in camera doesn't work in computer. Both say card is not formatted when I try to read in the other. Means I have to read from camera via USB cable rather than with card reader. Have measured write spped by it "seems" faster writing RAW files with x133 card.

Cheers, Mike
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 10:45 PM   #15

mgedit wrote:
Quote:
Rufus ... see my posts in this thread. My 2 gig works in my DL, but if formatted in the computer it doesn't work in camera, and if formatted in camera doesn't work in computer. Both say card is not formatted when I try to read in the other. Means I have to read from camera via USB cable rather than with card reader. Have measured write spped by it "seems" faster writing RAW files with x133 card.

Cheers, Mike
I read your posts and I had a glimmer of hope. But I just had a bad experience with a couple of 1GB 80x Transcend cards. The camera would write the image for a minute and then I would get a message that the image wasn't saved. It did this for both raw and jpeg. I tried the second card and it took over 5 minutes to write the image to the card. But it did save it. The cards worked like a charm in my Konica-Minolta Z1.

I searched a lot on what would work with the DL and SanDisk Ultra II kept coming up. So I really want to play it safe and give that a try. I still leary of trying the 2GB though. I haven't found anybody sayingthe 2GBwill definitely work with the DL. Thank you for your input and best o' luck with your DL.
Old May 10, 2006, 7:20 AM   #16

2 gig 133x card definitely works in my DL and no problem at all with read/write. My issue is only some sort of difference in how the camera and computer are formatting the SD card. What I want to do is find a solution to this. Using the USB cable Win XP sees the camera immediately and trasfers images. Perhaps it is a card reaeder issue.

So my experience suggests the DL has no problem with a 2 gig card formatted in the camera.

Cheers, Mike
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 7:38 AM   #17

Definitely try a different reader. I have found that I can't use my Dazzle USB 2.0 reader on my newer PC with any consistancy. I have no problem using a no brand USB 1.1 reader on it. The Dazzle works great on my old P2 500. Go figure.
Old May 10, 2006, 9:39 AM   #18

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
This is a somewhat related question: I purchased an 1 G SD Ultra II card which is supposed to have faster write speeds and therefore supposed to allow for faster operation on my DL. However, I must admit that the difference in speed does not appear to be that significant. Has anyone had a similar or different experience?

Thanks, Jay
Jelpee

The camera is the limiting factor. The camera can only write to the card at a certain speed. So unless that Camera write speed is faster than the card , it will make not a Difference at all With a Higher Speed card.

It will however make a difference in the speed the card will transfer your pics to the Computer when you use a Card reader. While i cannot put any numbers to it, i Only use the ULTRA II cards.I can see the Difference in transfer Speed.

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 11:20 AM   #19

mgedit wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone have experience with using a card larger than 1 GIG? Will it work? If so, any recommendations on one brand over another or are they all pretty much the same if the speed ratings are the same? Guess a followup question would be, what speed rating is recommended based on how fast the camera can write to the card?

Thanks.
Hello mgedit

I have a sandisk 2GB memory card (blue colour), arrived yesterday (all the way from Hong Kong) and have used it today. Works just fine with my *ist DL camera. Provides you with around 183 images if you shoot in RAW format.

I bought my card from a shop in Hong Kong selling via good old eBay, worked out cheaper than anywhere else (even with high postage fee). I have bought a 1GB Sandisk card from them before and that has worked just fine too.

So my advise would be to get yourself on ebay and have a look around. If you want to know the store I bought it from, just give me a shout and I will have a look for it for you.

Hope this helps.

electric-soup
electric-soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 8:17 PM   #20

One photographer wrote an interesting comment on a similar topic a while back. He said that he didn't use anything larger than a 512MB card because since he still used CDs for permanent storage he didn't want cards that would not fit their entire contents onto a single CD. Now I assume many have DVD burners so this is no longer an issue, but for some of us it is still a factor.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote