Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 2, 2006, 6:07 PM   #1

Sent a message to Pentax websupport asking if this camera (DL) could use a 2 GIG SD card. Got two conflicting replies:

"The istDL can use SD cards up to 1GB in size."

and

"You Camera will use a 2gb SD card. Remember to always format your SD card before storing pictures to it."

Does anyone have experience with using a card larger than 1 GIG? Will it work? If so, any recommendations on one brand over another or are they all pretty much the same if the speed ratings are the same? Guess a followup question would be, what speed rating is recommended based on how fast the camera can write to the card?

Thanks.
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2006, 5:37 AM   #2

Yep, I use a 2gb card (obscure brand also) with no problems. I am using the DS though with the 1.02 firmware.

If i recall correctly there are a number of other forum users also using 2gb cards
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 6:16 PM   #3

Ordered a 2 gig this afternoon ... $60 Canadian for a 133X card.

Check it out here:

http://www.ncix.com/promo/promosale....0thanniversary

Scroll down to see the limited quantity offer.

Cheers, Mike
Old May 4, 2006, 2:09 PM   #4

Thanks for posting this link mgedit. I live pretty close to this store, so went over and picked one up. Works great and is FAST in the istDS. Shot off a burst of about 10 shots at very detailed bush, and it cleared the buffer in about 7 or 8 seconds. That's quick enough for me anyway..........'kman.

mgedit wrote:
Quote:
Ordered a 2 gig this afternoon ... $60 Canadian for a 133X card.

Check it out here:

http://www.ncix.com/promo/promosale....0thanniversary

Scroll down to see the limited quantity offer.

Cheers, Mike
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 2:37 PM   #5

My DL kit is on order and should be here any day. I also ordered the 2GB SD card. Even with the $10 shipping charge (and GST only to Ontario, no PST), this is a great deal.

Now I just need to find a good place to get some rechargeable batteries, get the DL, charge it up, and learn how to take pictures!
Birdman325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 2:51 PM   #6

Not sure if they Ship to Canada. However Check out "Thomas Distributing" . They are a great place to get batterys and Chargers

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 6:10 PM   #7

I just got my 2 gig card and wondered howother people'swere working. If I format it in the camera it works fine, but Windows XP reports that the card is not formatted. I can download from the camera using the USB cable but that's a pain. If I format in Windows first, then the camera reports it is not formatted. Anyone else havethis problem at all? Any idea of a solution. I have the DL. In otherwords, Windows and the camera seem to be seeing the card differently. My 512 mg works fine in both the camera and computer.

Cheers, Mike
Old May 8, 2006, 10:00 PM   #8

I also had the same problem. I tried it on my new laptop (2 weeks old). Then I checked for an updated card reader driverand installed it.

That worked for me. Try it and search. I believe if you have one of those multi-reader that is not built into a system, it might be a little tricky. But for sure, search for it and good luck.
mjtaburada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 9:43 AM   #9

I have the ds, and I've had no problems. I don't use a card reader-just usb camera to pc, and it seems to be ok. Took some test shots yesterday with a lens I might buy, and the pictures loaded up just fine. Maybe something to do with the dl as opposed to the ds......Don.

mgedit wrote:
Quote:
I just got my 2 gig card and wondered howother people'swere working. If I format it in the camera it works fine, but Windows XP reports that the card is not formatted. I can download from the camera using the USB cable but that's a pain. If I format in Windows first, then the camera reports it is not formatted. Anyone else havethis problem at all? Any idea of a solution. I have the DL. In otherwords, Windows and the camera seem to be seeing the card differently. My 512 mg works fine in both the camera and computer.

Cheers, Mike
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 9:52 AM   #10

Sent off a message to ask Pentax as they initially toldme that the 2 gig card would work ... if does of course, but I'd rather use my card reader than load pictures using the USB-Camera connector.

Cheers, Mike