Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 6, 2006, 2:26 PM   #1

some things I have learned from and about forums

1. The people here are basically kind, patient, and generous. Those with more experience give constructive criticism based on the level of the photographer, I.e., pros more demanding of other pros, more gentle and nurturing with those who are not, and in my case, will never be, at the pro level.

2. It's best not to post it all. People want to see a few examples of the good stuff. What we beginners do with our images is relive the experience, whereas those who weren't there see the photograph. Maybe we have caught the memory or moment, and maybe we have not. The delete button is, indeed, our best friend, as someone posted recently.

3. It's best to do a search before posting questions. Most of my questions have been addressed many times already, and I benefit from seeing a variety of answers rather than the one or two responses usually given to repeat questions.

4. Many of the people here are incredibly talented, skilled, and have developed their gift of seeing to a level that causes others of us to be absolutely awed by their work in expressing the beauty of creation. I, for one, and probably for many, am grateful to be part of a group of people who invite others to new levels, and people who share their work so generously.

5. It's important to keep shooting, keep posting, keep growing, keep learning, keep sharing because this enriches the lives of all of us. And I am stunned to realized how rich I am becoming within the few months of membership in this and other forums. For this I am grateful, and that is the reason for this post.

Thank you,

Lawrence

this content posted on another forum as well.
Dr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2006, 3:55 PM   #2

My views exactly. This forum, in particular, is very helpful. I have been on forums where bickering and personality conflicts dominate, here it is about the joy of the hobby.

Like Lawrence I have learned a lot from this forum, first on the Fuji forum for my S7000 and now here for my *istDL. We can all learn from each other, even pros can often see the world differently when they see the vision of even the newest neophyte.

Another thing I see on this Pentax forum is a lot more discussion on photography and less on the equipment (I guess it is partly because all of the Pentax bodies are so similar, and that there are so many really good older lenses that still work on these cameras).

I don't know who to credit with this line, or what the exact wording should be but I have said it many times before, "Great images come from the imagination of the photographer, not his/her camera bag."

Thanks for the reminder Lawrence.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2006, 7:50 PM   #3

well DOC, are you a dr., i don't know where i stand but the comments are welcome. i belong to a number of forums also and have amassed a plethora of knowledge from them all. hopefully i've passed some of it off as well. the prob with forums is they take up a lot of time to read and post.. i've found that my limit is about 4 forums i can actually keep upwith and participate in to any degree of competence. what other forum have you posted this to??

lets see some images.. there's a lot of folks here just waiting to pass info off to any that ask. welcome to the forum..

roy
Old May 6, 2006, 8:02 PM   #4

Thank you, Roy.

My learning effortsare posted at http://www.pbase.com/drwindmill

Lawrence

Old May 6, 2006, 8:14 PM   #5

Oops, failed to answer your question about other forums. I like http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1036 (it's for Pentax DSLR users) and have posted a few things there, as well as the above note.

Lawrence
Old May 6, 2006, 8:27 PM   #6

doc'
you've some very nice images over at pbase. i was in colo. in '78 around estes and i have a pic similar to this
http://www.pbase.com/drwindmill/image/58905629
except it was on a hillside, i think around leadville. i seem to remember it as a religious statute that could be seen in the distance from the hiway. the image is on a slide that i haven't seen in years. do you know where i'm talking about. also, a number of us are also over at dpr.. what's your handle there. i'm ''dfw'' because 'robar' was taken..

roy
Old May 6, 2006, 8:35 PM   #7

Dr C there. DrWindmill here. Retired clergy. Dr C comes from the name given to me by a church preschool in Houston whose little ones couldn't pronounce my name, and DrWindmill comes from . . . well, you know how some clergy can be. : )

Lawrence

Old May 6, 2006, 8:40 PM   #8

stepdad is clergy.. yeah, i know profusely!!!!!!

we've got 'pastor rich' here also..
Old May 7, 2006, 9:07 PM   #9

I couldn't agree with you more! I've had a great time here and have learned a whole bunch. I don't read dpreview all that much - I'm active on other boards having nothing to do with photography or each other (cars and timeshares)and can't quite keep up with it all. This board is excellent and I've learned so much! I always think that my photos are a step down from what you all post, but maybe I'm too critical. To my very great surprise, webshots chose to feature a picture I took several years ago with a Sony F717. I didn't submit it - it's in an album that is directed to my fellow timeshare owners (here's what the unit looks like, here are some things to see in the area), so you can imagine my HUGE surprise when I came home from Vegas today and found my email inbox full of congrats. Shock of all shocks (and I hope you don't mind me bragging a bit - it's the first time I've gotten more than a "that's nice" from anyone other than co-workers and am I ever jazzed!). It would have been better, though, if I could have said that it was taken with the DS, though...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote