Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 6, 2006, 10:24 PM   #1

Hi,

My Canon cam is damaged(still under warranty). The cam shop gave me permission to choose another brand.
For the Pentax *IST DL i have to pay $100 extra and for the Nikon D50 i have to pay $300 extra.

Is the $200 diffrence worth paying for the Nikon D50. I think want to take action pics in low light. I think of

1 good low light capabilities
2 Fast autofocus
3 Low noise at high ISO
4 External flas compatibility with other brands
5 compatibility with other brand lenses
6 Quality of the camera body and control buttons(especially mode dial knob)

Many thanks

simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2006, 11:20 PM   #2

This question is not as simple as it sounds, given the criteria you have set down the D50 may fit a little better. Before I get in too much trouble let me point out that it is only your insistence on third party support that brings that answer. I do not think a D50 is $200 better than a DL (not by a long shot) but I recognize the fact that there is more support for the "top two" brands right now. Some people must have the brand recognition that Canon and Nikon have, due mostly to their high end professional equipment, these people will not be happy with any other brand regardless of specs.

I chose a *istDL because it offered me the features I wanted at a price I could afford, and it was compatible with all earlier K-mount lenses.I now have a very complete system for very little money because of that. The D50 has very limited capability with early Nikon lenses, to get more support you have to step up to a D200 at least.

1 good low light capabilities - No problem, fairly equal here
2 Fast autofocus - Many claim the D50 is faster
3 Low noise at high ISO - Test results seems to indicate a slight advantage for the D50, but nothing all that impressive (and DL has ISO 3200 available)
4 External flas compatibility with other brands - Sigma makes units for Pentax as well as Nikon, and the trigger voltage limit on the Pentax is quite high, allowing old standards like the Vivitar 285HV to be used.
5 compatibility with other brand lenses - Some lenses are not available in Pentax mount, but not many. Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, Samyang and Cosina all produce most of their lenses in Pentax mount. Of course you also have almost every K-mount lens ever made.
6 Quality of the camera body and control buttons(especially mode dial knob) - Cannot comment here, have only handled the D50 in a store.

Ultimately they are both great cameras, just make a choice you can live with.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2006, 11:55 PM   #3

While not on your list, here are other things to consider in the DL's favor:

- Bigger LCD with better resolution
- While not as good as the DS...much better viewfinder
- Ability to use AA batteries

Choice of lenses aside, the image quality should be very close because they both have the same sensor. And the body on the DL is very rugged and seems quite durable. I have not had a problem with the 3 point AF (though I've heard the DS is again superior in this area...have you considered the DS?)...you can always press the shutter part way and reframe...OR...and this is a very cool feature (and as far as I know is something only the Pentax offers?)...you can tweak the manual focus while using the AF.
ccd333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 12:06 AM   #4

THANKS Ira, finally i'm communicating with a Pentax owner. I'm getting somewhere now to have an affordable SLR.
I don't have much time left, cause i have to mail my desicion to the cam shop on Tuesday.
Everyone claimed the Canon S2 IS was the best, but i'm dissapointed in Canon. So i won't say Nikon D50 is heaven. Compared to the Canon S2 IS the panasonic FZ20 was also a good choice

Some other questions

1 Some reviews say the pentax is hunting for good focus in low light
2 In auto mode the picture quality (colors ) differs a bit from reality and the the
pictures
are not sharp enough and underexposed. You have to set the sharpness in the
menu.
3 If you press on the camera body, do you hear squeeking noises of the plastic,
because the Canon S2 IS did have that. It felt as it would break if a little pressure
was applied on the body. Is the camera body rigid or stiff, because i
will use the camera when hunting. Is the mode dial button stiff to prevent
changing modes accidently
4 At wich ISO level are the pictures still free of noise
5 If you have spare time can you send me some test pics, especially low light
pics.([email protected])

Thanks again

Old May 7, 2006, 12:54 AM   #5

Oke thanks ccd333 i'm near choosing the a brand

The DS has the same price tag as the Nikon D50.
Just now i saw the pentax *IST DL and the Nikon D50 compared at PC WORLD.com
They don't differ too much in features and picture quality. The Nikon D50 is a bit better if you kook at distortion and sharpness the Nikon is better, but the overall picture quality of the Pentax *ist dl is much better than the Nikon D50.
I don't think i will pay $200 extra for 2 extra scene modes and a 0.1 mp increase on the Nikon D50. So performance is now important
Please advice on

1 Is the pentax hunting for focus in low light
2 At what iso you still get clean pics

thanks

Old May 7, 2006, 1:54 AM   #6

#1, all cams hunt for focus in low light. hey, if you can't see it, then it'll be hard to focus!!!

the pentax @ 3200iso is fine as long as the exposure is on the money. i'm not sure if the d50 even offers iso 3200.

if you want good dial modes then get a P&S. you'll be just as happy..
Old May 7, 2006, 3:23 AM   #7

Oke good, but i what about focusing while taking action pics. I have read a review saying the autofocus hunts when doing action pics.
Old May 7, 2006, 4:10 AM   #8

All autofocus systems will struggle in low light-

Either get a faster lens (like a f2.8), or spend the money and go with a decent range of L series, Ive used some of these and the AF speed and accuracy is mindblowingly fast.

Otherwise, learn to use manual focus and then it does not matter
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 8:07 AM   #9

simson wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

My Canon cam is damaged(still under warranty). The cam shop gave me permission to choose another brand.
For the Pentax *IST DL i have to pay $100 extra and for the Nikon D50 i have to pay $300 extra.

Is the $200 diffrence worth paying for the Nikon D50. I think want to take action pics in low light. I think of

1 good low light capabilities
2 Fast autofocus
3 Low noise at high ISO
4 External flas compatibility with other brands
5 compatibility with other brand lenses
6 Quality of the camera body and control buttons(especially mode dial knob)

Many thanks

If you have time to read
http://www.photo.net/equipment/pentax/istds/
That speaks it all.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 8:53 AM   #10

simson wrote:
Quote:
Oke good, but i what about focusing while taking action pics. I have read a review saying the autofocus hunts when doing action pics.
Hi

Let me start by saying that I have the DS

A good part of the Shooting I do is Auto racing and Air Shows. I have never had an issue with the Auto Foucs hunting Or Even Slow while Shooting.

Just My 2 cents

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote