Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 7, 2006, 12:21 PM   #1

Hi all,

Very informative forum here!

I am a complete photo amateur. I am considering a new digital camera and will most likely get a point and shoot with 10x or greater zoom. However, I currently own a Pentax ZX-50 with a 35-80mm lens, and an old Promaster One-Touch macro 80-200mm f4.5 lens (which I think was for a manual Pentax). I know nothing about lenses. What I'm wondering is if I should get a Pentax dSLR because I already have these lenses. Of course, that also depends on 1) whether these lenses will work with a Pentax dSLR, and 2) whether these lenses are good enough for it to matter?

Thanks for any guidance.
vincef is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2006, 1:27 PM   #2

I think the lenses should work. But even if they don't...the kit lens on the Pentax is "good enough". Buy a DL with kit lens....that will be cheaper than many of the point and shoots with 10X optical or greater. Then, you can try the lenses you have or look to the future for new lenses...and don't look back. I have a Pany FZ5 with 12X optical and I love it....but I wouldn't hesitate to give it up WAY before the DL I recently purchased.
ccd333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 2:13 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm a pretty lousy photographer right now with a baby on the way. Is the DL a good camera for a newbie? Basically, would I be able to turn it on and quickly snap shots of the baby without worrying about changing settings, etc.?
Old May 7, 2006, 4:23 PM   #4

Yes, it's an excellent camera for a newbie to DSLR's. I'm almost exclusively a landscape photographer....but the first shot I took with the DL was an indoor shot on one of the automatic settings. Turned out great. For certain shots you will want to change a few settings (using natural mode instead of the default on the image tone for example). Then as you get more familiar with it, you can experiment with RAW and processing. But for starters I think you will be quite pleased with the default settings on the camera.
ccd333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 5:44 PM   #5

vincef wrote:
Quote:
Hi all,

Very informative forum here!

I am a complete photo amateur. I am considering a new digital camera and will most likely get a point and shoot with 10x or greater zoom. However, I currently own a Pentax ZX-50 with a 35-80mm lens, and an old Promaster One-Touch macro 80-200mm f4.5 lens (which I think was for a manual Pentax). I know nothing about lenses. What I'm wondering is if I should get a Pentax dSLR because I already have these lenses. Of course, that also depends on 1) whether these lenses will work with a Pentax dSLR, and 2) whether these lenses are good enough for it to matter?

Thanks for any guidance.
With out knowing the exact Pentax lense I cannot Be sure. However If It is Very old the Lense can only be used in the Manuel Mode. Only the more recent lenses Work automaticaly.I believe that to be totaly Automatic it must be A FA-lense.

As to newbe friendly. I agree with ccd333. It has several Auto modes and the kit lense is a Good Size and takes great pictures. Not sure the conversion factor, but the kit lense is not whats considered To be a 10X. I believe that the eqivilent of 10X is around 200mm.

I am Sure some will correct this if i am wrong

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 6:32 PM   #6

Hi vincef,

I think you should consider that you won't be able to use built in flash while making pictures of your newborn baby. Flashing flash light into baby's eyes isn't a good idea at all.

That means that you will either have really good lighting or you'll need to use high ISOs. So, for high ISO forget your FZ5...

Regarding zoom factor... It describe zooming range, it does not say anything about longest focal length. It is calculated as longest focal length/shortest focal length. So, Pentax DL 18-55 kit lens zoom factor is 3x.

10x lense can be 10-100, 15-150, 20-200, 35-350 and so on.

Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 3:43 PM   #7

Thanks for the helpful replies, everyone. Sounds like I'll just have to invest in some new lenses. Thus, I guess I've got it narrowed down to the DL and the Nikon D50.
Old May 8, 2006, 6:38 PM   #8

Vincef

I bought a Pentax (DS) so that I could use my old collection of lens from my 35mm Pentax's.

Some are pretty ordinanry but some are excellent. Two of my favourites are old screw mount lenses. I have on my camera as I write a Super-Takumar 55mm that I think produces good results.

Other favourites are 135mm and 200 mm Vivitar series 1 primes, both also screw mount.

I have an older Sigma 70-300 zomm that I preer to my newer sigma 100-300 zoom.

The kit lens in my case was a Sigma 18-125 zoom that gets alot of use as well.

This is the Pentax advantage that there s wide range of lenses that you can use, none seem to become obsolete.

Phil
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 7:48 PM   #9

well said
Old May 8, 2006, 11:07 PM   #10

What are some of the advantages you folks see in the Pentax dSLRs over the D50?