Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 9, 2006, 5:04 PM   #1

I was looking at the Nikon D series because a friend has one that he likes. But I went to look at them and it failed my first pet peeve test -- it takes proprietary batteries.

So then the guy shows me the Pentax *ist DL & DS2, which takes standard AA batteries. So it passes that test.

Then he tells me you can even use old Pentax screw-mount lenses on it... which piqued my interest, because I have an old 75-260 screwmount lens that I used on my old Mamiya Sekor 35mm body. I dug it out and found that it is a Vivitar Tele-Zoom 1:4.5 and not a Pentax brand one. But I think might be the same basic design.

From what I'm gathering reading these forums, I'd be able to put this lens on a Pentax *ist D series camera with an adaptor. I'm guessing it would be fully manual as far as apature and focus, but other than that - does anyone see any problems using it with one of these cameras? Anything I ought to know before I go ahead and get one?

-P
philmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2006, 6:48 PM   #2

If it is an M42 screw mount, then it will fit all the Pentax *ist D cameras, all you need to buy is the adapter ring, readily available on eBay and at camera stores. Get a genuine Pentax adapter.

You can us the AV and Manual modes with these lenses and they work beautifully and there are heaps of manual lenses both K mount and M42 available on eBay and at second hand stores. Be prepared to get the Lens Buying Addiction...:shock:

Av Mode is Aperature priority mode, set you camera to Av Mode, set your aperture ring on the lens and then simply compose your shot, focus and push the Ae-lock button to set shutter speed, take our shot. Manual mode is the same but once you have hit the AE-lock button you can manually wind the shutter speed up and down with the thumb wheel to correct any exposure issues.

If you are using an old manual lens that has an A setting on the aperture ring, then yo can also adjust the aperture using the thumb wheel as the camera will recognise the aperture settings from the lens.

The only thing you need to know about gettng a Pentax digital SLR is that you will not be dissapointed. :-)
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 6:50 PM   #3

What you need is a standard pentax k mount to m24 adaptor.

I have several screw mount lenses that I regularly use on my DS, and a couple of them are Vivitars and I am pleased with the results.

Yes it will be fully manual focus, but as these lens were designed to be manualy focused you get plenty of fine adjustment to get accurate focus.

Metering will be fully manual or Apeture Priority. You will have to shut the lens apeture down before you shoot as the camera has no connection to the apeture controls on the screw mount lens. I don't find this a problem.

Phil

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 12:46 AM   #4

welcome to the forum phil....
actually, you'll ned a K to m42 adapter.. welcome to pentax's 4-5 decades of lenses. ain't it cool????

roy
Old May 10, 2006, 12:53 AM   #5

oh!!MANY!! of us here are because of the compatibility of older pentax lenses..

roy
Old May 10, 2006, 12:21 PM   #6

So ....

It looks like the DS2 is the more flexible, less amateur friendly when comparing the DS2 and the DL, and that it is also less expensive. Interesting. That actually plays into my preference the way I see it.

The other reason I'm looking for a digital SLR is flexibilityover exposures and focusing -- that is, sometimes I want to pick. My Olympus C-720-UZ lets you pick EITHER shutter speed OR apature, and you have no direct control over focusing.

With that in mind, what do you think of the DS2 vs DL quandry?

-P
philmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 12:58 PM   #7

I still haven't seen or held a DL, but according to those who have on this forum the viewfinder in the DS is bigger. At least I am very satisfied with my DS, especially after I could hold and try a Canon 350D today. Besides its less than desirable ergonomics, it was really a near-death-experience to look through the viewfinder. I could see the light at the other end! I nearly kissed my DS when I got home. The DS and the DS2 are more or less the same camera.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 1:42 PM   #8

ergonomically the DS/2 and DL are basically the same. only a few differences:

viewfinder - the DS line uses actual prisms instead of mirrors as in the DL - this makes it a bit clearer for manual focus, its also a bit bigger. I looked thru both and couldn't really tell the difference (this was before I bought though)

external flash - the DS can use old TTL flashes, the DL is stuck with newer P-TTL.

Focusing points - only matters if you like to focus somewhere other than center. DS has 11. DL has 3 (DL2 has 5)

Focusing screen - DS has interchangable focusing screens.

Otherwise they are basically the same camea
ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 5:07 PM   #9

i use my DS with off camera flash quite a bit. the cords you need to do this are expensive but i scored a TTL flash thats good to about 40' for $10 on ebay. the DL can't do this except manually..

roy
Old May 10, 2006, 7:04 PM   #10

ccallana Please note that although it does not say so in the manual the focusing screens can be changed in the DL as well. Same tools, same screens. I know because I have two of the cut-down Chinese focusing screens, a clear matte and a large split image prism. Changing them was easy, just follow the instructions for the DS.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote