Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 11, 2006, 12:07 PM   #1

Will hopefully have the money soon for one of these (unless I have to decorate again!) and although this is a Pentax forum, you all seem friendly and fairly unbiased?

So, which should it be? I currently have a Kodak Z740 which has served me well since Xmas, but I want to get back to using a "proper" camera. Used to have a Nikon F70 plus lenses, flash guns etc. but lost the lot in an uninsured burglary. Now making the climb back up the ladder again.

Narrowed the choice down to these 2 cameras (was set on the Cannon till I read about the Pentax) and a bit of feedback always helps.

Thanks for your time
Fred666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2006, 12:30 PM   #2

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_forum.php?id=87
fiftiesdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 12:40 PM   #3

Thanks - stupid post really, considering I hadn't checked all of this forum. Suppose I really am stuck on the Pentax and only looked at the Pentax part of the board.
Old May 11, 2006, 2:29 PM   #4

Now that your question has been asked in this forum I can't see the point in not answering, if one has anything to say. Being a Pentaxian for 20 years, my absolutely unbiased answer is as follows:

All DSLRs produce high quality pictures, if the photographer has any idea of what he/she is doing. So picture quality should not really be a criterium for your decision.

I have a Pentax *ist DS, and I am very satisfied with it for mainly three reasons:

Ergonomics. It fits very well in my hand, thanks to small size and good design. All the buttons and wheels are in the right place. That's the main reason I chose Pentax 20 years ago, and it still applies. I had the opportunity to try a Canon 350D the other day, and it felt very uncomfortable for a Pentaxian.

Lens compatibility. With the Pentax DSLRs, you can use every Pentax lens that have ever been produced, including screw mount lenses from the sixties and medium format lenses made for the 645 series. You can also use K-mount lenses from other manufaturers as Cosina or Chinon and third party lenses like Sigma and Tokina. That means you can get a very nice collection of high quality lenses on ebay or flea markets for a very modest sum of money.

View finder. Even though the viewfinder on the DL is pentamirror and not pentaprism as the DS, I hear that the difference isn't that big between the two. The Canonon the other hand really gave me the feeling of peeping through a tube compared to my beloved Pentax *istDS.

As I promised, a totally unbiased judgement.

Ciao, Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 2:57 PM   #5

Hi

I Agree with "bilybianca" I have been a Pentaxian for 30 Years. I still have my Pentax ME and several Manual lenses.
Anyway- i went and held them all. I Narrowed it Down to a Nikon and the Pentax. The Pentax won mainly beacuse it was the most Comfortable to hold. As a plus all of my lense from years ago Work and work well.
As already said, All of todays DSLRs will produce Excellent Shots in the right hands.
So if possible go hold them, play with the controls and just get the feel of the cameras. Then make your decision.
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 4:06 PM   #6

Oooh – forgot! It takes AA sized batteries. You can go to Ougadougo and find batteries for replacement if needed.
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 4:25 PM   #7

Thanks guys. Very helpful, and tells me what I know already - Pentax is the way forward. Now if can only keep her indoors from finding out.....
Old May 11, 2006, 7:27 PM   #8

i agree here as far as the pentax is concerned. i been a pentax fan since day one back in 1978. altho i put the camera down for a little over 20 years i was not disappointed when i picked up a pentax again..

roy
Old May 11, 2006, 9:06 PM   #9

Seeing as how all of us are happy Pentax owners, you wouldn't expect to get any other answer, would you?

Like everyone else here, I had old Pentax lenses I had put away because I was too sentimental to get rid of them when my ME died and I switched to digital (Sony F717). I briefly considered the Canon, but it was significantly larger and heavier,so that thought died quickly.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 9:23 PM   #10

Might as well chime in here too. I bought my DL the first of March and used the kit lens for about a month. I had 3 nice screw mount Takumars from my old Spotmatic days, so beings I bought a screw mount adapter from Adorama, I decided to try some of the old stuff again. All I can say is wow, the sharpness is way ahead of the kitzoomlens and for me learning how to manual focus is not an issue. The viewfinder of the DL is very good and I focus with the lens wide open then click it down 2, 4 or 6 clicks depending on what depth of field I want. All I can say is these old screw mount lenses may be cheap and outdated, but bottom line is they take great pictures. Isn't that what it's all about. Glassdoesn't wear outand Pentax made some greatlenses over the years. Think about this when you decide what to buy- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote