Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 11, 2006, 8:12 PM   #1

Hello:

I have already posted in the other forum asking for help in deciding which of these cameras to buy.The Nikon d 50-Olympus e500 or the IST DL from Pentax.Since I got no responses regarding the ist DL, figured I would post on the Pentax forum.The Pentax ist DL was pointed out to me by a very enthusiastic salesperson at Future Shop who went on to say that out off all the cameras he had there the DL was is favorite by a long margin , based on Design,quality of lens,easy to use,great color in photos, and last but not least price.This was over the top for me because to be honest the Pentax was not even on my list.After further reading on my part I have to say that I like this camera a lot.My question is I don't aim on becoming a pro my goal is to take nice photos on my trips during racing events,and last but not least family functions.If I decide to go with this what lenses would you suggest,and since I'm in Canada what's a fair price to pay for the Cameraalong withthe 18 -55 and a 55-200.Feel free to make suggestions about the DL.

THANK YOU :

quartz
quartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2006, 6:36 AM   #3

Hi Quartz,

I'm pretty green myself to slr digital photography.

Anyways I just ordered my istDL with kit lens from RitzCarema.com final price wasapprox. 760 cnd (including taxes, delivery and currency exchange rate). That's cheaper than FutureShop's retail price(then add 15% taxes on top)... Ouch!!

Last night I ordered the Tamron 28-300 (gulp I hope I did the right choice) xr Pentax lens from CametaCamera. Also, some folks here in the Pentax forum have praised the Sigma 24-135mm from the same vendor. Look them up !

Anyways... good luck

Later,

Rick
Mourrri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 8:04 AM   #4

You have not included broker's fee. Quite a pain. You may be ok.

Daniel

Mourrri wrote:
Quote:
Hi Quartz,

I'm pretty green myself to slr digital photography.

Anyways I just ordered my istDL with kit lens from RitzCarema.com final price wasapprox. 760 cnd (including taxes, delivery and currency exchange rate). That's cheaper than FutureShop's retail price(then add 15% taxes on top)... Ouch!!
Anyways... good luck

Later,

Rick
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 11:37 AM   #5

Nikon d 50-Olympus e500 or the IST DL from Pentax:

I have a friend that has the e500 and he is not happy with the small viewfinder when focusing in low light and the major noise at high ISO.

I have never used the D50, but have used the D70s and find the same issue with the viewfinder on the D70s as the e500 and it is also noisier than my DS is at high ISO.

I have a DS, so you will have to get Ira to respond about the DL, but it seems much better than the e500 and at least equal to the D50 if not better.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 3:29 PM   #6

Before I purchased my DL, I went to a Kit Camera store that had the D50, DS and DL. I played with all three and spent considerable time focusing manually on outside objects, cars, trees, people, etc. The Kits store was located in a shopping mall near Seattle and I had quite a bit of different subject material to play with.

To make a long story short, the DS with its Pentaprizm viewfinder was slightly dimmer, but slightly larger then the DL with the Pentamirror. To be honest, I could focus equally well with both of them and if the viewfinder is a concern, I think you would be equally happy with either one once you use it a bit. There is just not that much difference.

Now to the D50. I found it to be quite a bit harder to focus manually on something, partly because it had a dark bold circle in the center where the Pentax has a very thin line. The D50 is definately inferior as far as the viewfinder in my unscientific test on that day. I have alsotried a Digital Rebel and E500 Olympusat Costco and didn't like the viewfinder on either,if I remember rightI think the Olympus was better to my eyes. The Pentax just feels right.

Since I do a lot of manual focusing with some of the old Pentax glass, a good viewfinder is important to me.One other point. I got the camera in March and put in a set ofAA lithiums and have not changed them yet. I'm at about 700 pics - Bruce

bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 7:54 PM   #7

hi, i got my dl with 18-55 from adorama in N.Y. for not much over $700 canadian shipped. got a used sigma 70-300 for another $104 (US) you still pay some tax when itcrosses the border depending on which province you're in (here in ON it's both at 15%) if you get it from the states try to have it shipped by mail or fedex, both seem to have cheaper brokering fees (i think canada post is only $5) than UPS.

reasons for choosing the dl over the competition;

good price, great viewfinder, will use virtually any lens made for a Pentax in the last ?? years (this means good, cheap glass is available whenever you want wider, longer, faster, etc.), takes AA batteries (this is not a plus to everyone but it is to me), you get to come to this forum and read all the neat posts.

actually you will have a hard time finding anyone here on this forum who is not enthusiastic about their Pentax dslr (with no commission either) and that was a real factor when i was deciding between the e-500 and the *ist dl. although some of them do wax hyperbolic at times.

happy decisions, eric
ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 6:37 PM   #8

I have finally made a decision.

After much deliberation and thanks to all the praise given to Pentax in this forum I'm happy to report that I have chosen the iST DL2 as my new camera , edging out Nikon 50d and Olympus e-500.I intend to buy the camera from Camera-Warehouse in Alberta Canada.They offer the best deal on the two lens kit(18-55 , 55-200)along with free shipping .I'm a bit worried as I have never made a purchase on line.Has anyone dealt with Camera-Warehouse if so what's your opinion on them.Many thanks to all those that have helped,and I look forward to participating on the forum.

Quartz
quartz is offline   Reply With Quote