Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 12, 2006, 4:05 PM   #1

I just received word that my DL Kit (which I ordered from bydig.com for US$456!) is waiting for me at home. I have my batteries and 2GB SD card all ready to go.

Two things, any useful tips on getting started with the camera to aid in the initial Auto picture taking (standard exposure adjustments, etc?) and more importantly, can anyone point to some useful newbie resources for (digital) photography?

While I plan on starting on Auto (and discarding lots of pictures) I also plan on learning manual adjustments, etc. so any suggestions on resources would be great. Many of the books I have looked at in stores spend lots of pages on using software and not so much on understanding the camera and taking pictures.
Birdman325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2006, 6:56 PM   #2

bird,
this is about the best online resource i've ever seen. formated great also.. it'll take you forever to peruse the site but the answers are there. you'll need to dig them out tho.. i've learned a lot there and other places. people here will also answer your ??s.

enjoy,
http://luminous-landscape.com/

roy
Old May 12, 2006, 7:15 PM   #3

Just me, but I'd rather use the P mode over the Auto mode. It works where you can either leave everything to the camera to control the exposure but you have the option of over-riding it if you want. Also, and this is my personal preference, I don't use the "vivid" mode much at all(that's the default for the camera, can be changed through a menu setting). I changed it to natural and have been very pleased with my results (if I want a bit more saturation or sharpnessI can always add some later).

Two other suggestions - first, read the manual several times, at least once with the camera in front of you. Second, have fun taking LOTS of pictures!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 8:59 AM   #4

Birdman325,

Here's a few good sites I came across:

http://www.photoxels.com/digital-pho...tutorials.html

http://www.weather-photography.com/techniques.php

Later,
Rick
Mourrri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 6:57 AM   #5

Most of the photographic techiques vary little from film based SLR cameras.

Check the article on Luminous Landscape mentioned in another post for details on using the histogram feature.

Mainly take lots of photos and try and become familair with your camera's features one at a time.

The idea of starting with the P setting is good and I recommend the natural setting as suggested in another post.

Of course this forum has proved useful as a source of expert practical wisdom.
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 10:51 AM   #6

Thanx for the input and very useful links.

Took a bunch of pix over the weekend. Did lots of experimenting. Some in the park came out quite nice (although no real credit to my settings) but I had lots of trouble with trying to take some pix of my daughter's ballet recital in a dark theatre.

Anyways, glad to be in the club and look forward to sharing in the near future.

(I signed up for a free flickr account for picture hosting but it only has a 20mg free account limit.)
Birdman325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 11:31 AM   #7

if you resize too 800w, 72dpi and save at say as a 5-7 jpeg, then 20megs will go a LOOONG way. i post at one forum where the size limit is 100k so most of my images tend to be kind of small. i lose shadow detail but....... i tend to add extra of shadow when converting from raw..

roy