Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 12, 2006, 6:32 PM   #1

I'm using NiMH rechargeables in my DL just now. They may be starting to show their age and I've found that they work fine if they are used immediately after a charge, but if they are left for a month or so .... thespare set will usually be dead when I go to change them (I have 2 sets of 4). Is this typical for this type of rechargeable in your experiences? I like using the generic AA but wondered if it is worth getting the CRV3 lithium ion ones if I need to upgrade.

What are experiences and suggestions in this regard? What are the pros/cons of each option. Also any good on-line sources for quality batteries at a good price in Canada?

Cheers, Mike
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2006, 7:03 PM   #2

rechargable liths are expensive, really. i see my NMh as not very good after a week. i know it's my charger so recently i bought a lot of 6 of these.
PowerEX Maha MH-C204F NiMH Battery Car Charger
they don't have the ac/dc wart but i've got a 500mah, 12v wart laying around that will work. you do too , probably. google the descrip and you'll find it's one of the best chargers on the market. i haven't received them yet so i haven't tested them but they are suppose to be NIB. the extra 5 i'll have i was going to offer here and another place for $10.50 shipped. i'll be making zip except for a free charger to me.. interested???

roy
Old May 12, 2006, 7:17 PM   #3

hi, my experience was that the batteries that seemed to be working fine in my fuji s602 couldn't cut it when i switched to the dl. i think now that they were probably ready to be replaced but in any event new NiMH's with a Maha charger fixed the problem. i got the c401fs charger and industrial grade 2700 mah sanyo batteries. the company was in the states, i think it's called thomas distributing or something, steve has them listed in the battery/charger forum and i would definitely recommend them but they are a US company. not cheap but good. maybe if they'd been in canada i would have tried the 2500 batteries (i was replacing 2300's) since they were a lot cheaper but with the cross border hassle i wanted to get it right the first time if possible.i'm very pleased with both the batteries and the charger, especially since it has a slow trickle charge setting.

as far as holding a charge, i would expect any NiMH batteries to be flat in a month although i've never actually done the experiment. they lose a small percentage of their charge just sitting (guess 5% ??) i am satisfied if mine last a whole week.

don't know anything about lithium ion batteries so i won't pontificate:G

all the best, eric
ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 9:33 PM   #4

Hi

I also recommend Thomas Distributing. And I also agree with Robar about Maha PowerX Chargers and Batterys. I have 4 sets of 2500 PowerX Batterys and the C801D charger. They have powered my DS for Up To 600 shots.
As far as how long they will last sitting. I have not run any tests, but I think it is more than a month

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 7:34 AM   #5

mgedit wrote:
Quote:
But wondered if it is worth getting the CRV3 lithium ion ones if I need to upgrade.

Cheers, Mike
DON'T - I believe that the charge of CRV3 lithium will exceed the recommended voltage for the camera & that Pentax warn against their use.

In my experience a good set of AA NiHi at 2300mA/hr will last & last - I've gotten almost a weeks photography out of a set in which I took over 500 images.

Charged batteries will deplete their stored energy over time & I guess that the older the cells are the more quickly this happens.

I read somewhere that they can be frozen to retain their charge BUT must be thawed out slowly & DRY before use - pretty obvious really.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 11:05 AM   #6

THANKS for the warning. Absolutely right. Pentax recommends against using CRV3 lithium rechargeable batteries. The non-rechargeable Lithium batteriesa are fine, but NOT the rechareable variety.

Good words of warning for all users ...

Cheers, Mike
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 12:40 PM   #7

there are voltage regulated liths on the market available
Old May 16, 2006, 7:55 AM   #8

NiMH have following disadvandages:
- 4xAA gives just 4,8V instead of 6V therefore autofocus is a little bit slower than using CRV3
- NiMH are discharging while being not used. so, it is normal that they will discharge during long period being not used.
- they can't operate in cold weather.

Lithium batteries gives 6V, so AF is faster, batteries are lightweight and they do not discharge while being not used. But they are expensive It is a good idea to have lithium batteries as a backup. You throw them into your photobag and forget about them... until your NiMH discharge in the middle of photoshoot Also Lithium batteries can operate in cold weather, so take them when you're making pictures while it's -10 outside

I know one man who is using Lithium rechargeables in his DS and he has no problems with it.
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 8:44 AM   #9

I use rechargeable lithiums in a DSwith no problems at all. They are expensive, but I like not having to remember to put newly charged batteries into the camera every month, which is what has to be done with NiMH batteries.
Steve_Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 11:09 AM   #10

Personally, I don't find it at all inconvenient to change NiHi batteries after nominally 500 shots - they can always be 'topped up' after a shooting session to restore their charge.

I'd rather play safe using NiHi batteries than risk rechargeable lithium CRV3 batteries - I don't believe that rechargeable lithium AA exist as yet.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote