Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 13, 2006, 3:57 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 23
Default

Hi there

I am new to this group. Just got a *ist DL2 a few weeks ago and wondered if anybody had any ideas about firmware upgrades for this model. I tried Pentax technical support and they say they have no knowledge of pending upgrade, but keep watching their site, was impressed with their response time (same day).

Have been a K1000 user for over 20 years and have plenty of K-mount/M42 lenses and other bits and pieces, and having great fun at the moment. I can get most things to work within reason. The K to M42 converter was very difficult to get out first time (not a Pentax brand), but I filed a knotch opposite the red dot, and smoothed off the sharp edges of the bayonet. It now works fine, comes out quite easily.

I am not new to digital as I have had an Olympus 2040z for 3 years (my 3rd digital camera).

All the best to eveyone
furball is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2006, 4:26 PM   #2
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

welcome home furball!!!!

roy
  Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 5:21 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Black Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Oxford, CT
Posts: 1,309
Default

Welcome!! Ist Ds here.
Ive been a ME user for better than 20 years myself. I know quite a few of the posters in this form are "Pentaxians".

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 5:29 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
bilybianca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Hassleholm, Sweden
Posts: 3,435
Default

Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
I know quite a few of the posters in this form are "Pentaxians".

And here is yet another one of them towish you welcome

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 5:40 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
danielchtong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,888
Default

furball wrote:
Quote:
Hi there

I am new to this group. Just got a *ist DL2 a few weeks ago and wondered if anybody had any ideas about firmware upgrades for this model. I tried Pentax technical support and they say they have no knowledge of pending upgrade, but keep watching their site, was impressed with their response time (same day).

Have been a K1000 user for over 20 years and have plenty of K-mount/M42 lenses and other bits and pieces, and having great fun at the moment. I can get most things to work within reason. The K to M42 converter was very difficult to get out first time (not a Pentax brand), but I filed a knotch opposite the red dot, and smoothed off the sharp edges of the bayonet. It now works fine, comes out quite easily.

I am not new to digital as I have had an Olympus 2040z for 3 years (my 3rd digital camera).

All the best to eveyone
Welcome. This is where you belong.
My Pentax screw mount converter has threads really sharp. I actually cut myself.
Anyway you have problem with your DL2? Why bother with firmware upgrade. The rule of thumb is that you should upgrade unless you have a problem operating it.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 5:56 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Black Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Oxford, CT
Posts: 1,309
Default

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
furball wrote:
Quote:
Hi there

I am new to this group. Just got a *ist DL2 a few weeks ago and wondered if anybody had any ideas about firmware upgrades for this model. I tried Pentax technical support and they say they have no knowledge of pending upgrade, but keep watching their site, was impressed with their response time (same day).

Have been a K1000 user for over 20 years and have plenty of K-mount/M42 lenses and other bits and pieces, and having great fun at the moment. I can get most things to work within reason. The K to M42 converter was very difficult to get out first time (not a Pentax brand), but I filed a knotch opposite the red dot, and smoothed off the sharp edges of the bayonet. It now works fine, comes out quite easily.

I am not new to digital as I have had an Olympus 2040z for 3 years (my 3rd digital camera).

All the best to eveyone
The rule of thumb is that you should upgrade unless you have a problem operating it.

Daniel
Daniel

I have heard the same thing. However, i dont always Agree. I have the DS. The last Couple of firmware updates done for the DS, Addednew functionality to the camera. Had i not Updated the firmware, i would never have got that functionality.

I understand that i Couldhave Ruined the camera. I Had that very issue Updating my router firmware. Cost me Many hours to try and fix it, then money To finally replace it.

Long and Short Its a Risk.

BK




Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 7:08 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
mtngal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Frazier Park, CA
Posts: 16,052
Default

Welcome! I'm another person who bought an ME many years ago, and couldn't quite get rid of all my old stuff when it died a couple of years ago (got a Sony F717 at the time and love digital). I was SO glad to get the DS in January and have had a great time playing with all my old equipment.

I did the upgrade available for the DS, though very reluctantly. I'm now glad that I did because it added a couple of items (letting the camera choose the ISO within a set bracket) that I've used quite a bit. So while I wouldn't just automatically update firmware (there's a big downside if things go wrong), I wouldn't hesitate doing it if there were a reason.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 9:34 PM   #8
Member
 
bright eyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 94
Default

Furball, welcome to the club! This is a nice place to be and I am glad I'm not the only DL2 user anymore.

-BE
bright eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 10:48 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
ennacac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,198
Default

Furball, welcome to the Pentax DSLR club. You will find it is one of the best digital cameras out there and we can't wait for your first photo post.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:57 PM.