Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 13, 2006, 3:57 PM   #1

Hi there

I am new to this group. Just got a *ist DL2 a few weeks ago and wondered if anybody had any ideas about firmware upgrades for this model. I tried Pentax technical support and they say they have no knowledge of pending upgrade, but keep watching their site, was impressed with their response time (same day).

Have been a K1000 user for over 20 years and have plenty of K-mount/M42 lenses and other bits and pieces, and having great fun at the moment. I can get most things to work within reason. The K to M42 converter was very difficult to get out first time (not a Pentax brand), but I filed a knotch opposite the red dot, and smoothed off the sharp edges of the bayonet. It now works fine, comes out quite easily.

I am not new to digital as I have had an Olympus 2040z for 3 years (my 3rd digital camera).

All the best to eveyone
furball is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2006, 4:26 PM   #2

welcome home furball!!!!

roy
Old May 13, 2006, 5:21 PM   #3

Welcome!! Ist Ds here.
Ive been a ME user for better than 20 years myself. I know quite a few of the posters in this form are "Pentaxians".

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 5:29 PM   #4

Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
I know quite a few of the posters in this form are "Pentaxians".

And here is yet another one of them towish you welcome

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 5:40 PM   #5

furball wrote:
Quote:
Hi there

I am new to this group. Just got a *ist DL2 a few weeks ago and wondered if anybody had any ideas about firmware upgrades for this model. I tried Pentax technical support and they say they have no knowledge of pending upgrade, but keep watching their site, was impressed with their response time (same day).

Have been a K1000 user for over 20 years and have plenty of K-mount/M42 lenses and other bits and pieces, and having great fun at the moment. I can get most things to work within reason. The K to M42 converter was very difficult to get out first time (not a Pentax brand), but I filed a knotch opposite the red dot, and smoothed off the sharp edges of the bayonet. It now works fine, comes out quite easily.

I am not new to digital as I have had an Olympus 2040z for 3 years (my 3rd digital camera).

All the best to eveyone
Welcome. This is where you belong.
My Pentax screw mount converter has threads really sharp. I actually cut myself.
Anyway you have problem with your DL2? Why bother with firmware upgrade. The rule of thumb is that you should upgrade unless you have a problem operating it.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 5:56 PM   #6

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
furball wrote:
Quote:
Hi there

All the best to eveyone
The rule of thumb is that you should upgrade unless you have a problem operating it.

Daniel
Daniel

I have heard the same thing. However, i dont always Agree. I have the DS. The last Couple of firmware updates done for the DS, Addednew functionality to the camera. Had i not Updated the firmware, i would never have got that functionality.

I understand that i Couldhave Ruined the camera. I Had that very issue Updating my router firmware. Cost me Many hours to try and fix it, then money To finally replace it.

Long and Short Its a Risk.

BK

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 7:08 PM   #7

Welcome! I'm another person who bought an ME many years ago, and couldn't quite get rid of all my old stuff when it died a couple of years ago (got a Sony F717 at the time and love digital). I was SO glad to get the DS in January and have had a great time playing with all my old equipment.

I did the upgrade available for the DS, though very reluctantly. I'm now glad that I did because it added a couple of items (letting the camera choose the ISO within a set bracket) that I've used quite a bit. So while I wouldn't just automatically update firmware (there's a big downside if things go wrong), I wouldn't hesitate doing it if there were a reason.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 9:34 PM   #8

Furball, welcome to the club! This is a nice place to be and I am glad I'm not the only DL2 user anymore.

-BE
bright eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 10:48 PM   #9

Furball, welcome to the Pentax DSLR club. You will find it is one of the best digital cameras out there and we can't wait for your first photo post.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote