Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 16, 2006, 8:32 PM   #11

off colored text sure isn't a good reading experience on this forum. how about sticking to the default??
Old May 16, 2006, 8:39 PM   #12

robar wrote:
Quote:
off colored text sure isn't a good reading experience on this forum. how about sticking to the default??
I agree and it was an error ... text I imported for address was black and I tried to make it white but there are is no option I could find to make it white in the drop down menu. Yellow seemed like the only way to make it legible. How do you convert back to white if that happens?

Cheers, Mike
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 8:59 PM   #13

i posted a thread about this. the way you see this forum depends on the format YOU choose to see it as. yours is black with white text. mine is blue background with a white posting and reading format. at the top of the page, go to ''my account'', clik it and clik the ''preferences'' tab. under the 'format' choice you can choose how you get to view this forum.. experiment....

roy
Old May 17, 2006, 8:05 AM   #14

Thanks ...
Old May 17, 2006, 9:49 AM   #15

Another thanks to robar for pointing out the preferences . . . I just made the change to default2 and find it much easier on my old eyes. Sorry I missed your earlier thread.

Regards, Lawrence
Dr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 5:54 PM   #16

Said I would report on progress with this lens. I called Gentech today and they were very interested and helpful. They said they had had other a few issues with this lens with Canon and Nikon bodies but not with Pentax. They will honour the US warranty in Canada. While I was talking on the phone, I noticed that the A setting on the aperture ring was not properly "seated" on the lens. I moved it off A and back on again until it clicked in place and the lens seems to be working fairly well now. The LCD display on the back of the camera is nottotally reliable yet as trying to select menu items sometimes works and sometimes the screen goes blank. But at least I can now use the lens and it seems to be quite sharp.

So my question ... should I ship it back now or try it out for a bit longer.? I have a year coverage anyway so I'm inclinded to give it a try and see how things work over the next month or so anyway ... and still have the option within the year to get it fixed if necessary. Any other changes in behaviour or problems will be posted.

Cheers, Mike
Old May 19, 2006, 1:10 PM   #17

The first one of these lenses I bought (from Cameta) had the blanking menu/fn problem so it went back. I then purchased another two (hoping that at least one would work) as the lens has the perfect combination of range, speed and pricing for me.

Both arrived (in Western Australia) last Monday (only took five business days from NY) and the good news is that both work fine on my DS and DL bodies. I'm keeping one and have the other listed on ebay. The cheapest I can find them in Oz new is AU$589, so they represent excellent value if you can secure a good one.

I contacted the authorised Sigma repairer in Australia about the first one (C.R. Kennedy and Co) and they indicated that it was simply a "tweaking" issue with some of these lenses, and not a compatibility problem. I took this to mean that maybe some sort of mechanical alignment was needed with the position of the electronics PCB or contact wipers on some units rather than a chip issue as such. They wouldn't be pressed on the specific problem, but said they needed the camera body sent with the lens to match it to.

Greg

perigee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 6:08 PM   #18

perigee, glad to hear you got good ones. Here in Canada the cheapest I could find the lens was $599 and some were as high as $725, I paid $70.89 US (about $119 Cdn at that time). Mine works, and as soon as I got used to the weight it has become a near permanent fixture on my camera.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 7:51 PM   #19

i really wanted this lens but i've purchased 4 lately and the boss is really frowning. got a M80-200 f4.5 today and from chimping it appears to be a fine lens. decisions decisions..
Old May 20, 2006, 6:27 AM   #20

I recently spent a few hours out with this lens, and it performed very well. Pictures are nice and sharp. At first, the fn menu kept going off as usual, but I managed to make the changes I wanted. Then after about 2 hours, I went to change the ISO, and the screen stayed lit. Didn't go out at all until I'd made my changes. So today I fire up the camera with the 24-135, and the fn menu is back to going off quickly again. Too weird. Seems to have a mind of its own. Oh well. It takes fine photos so I'l persist........Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote