Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 20, 2006, 1:45 PM   #21

There is definitely an issue with at least some of these lens. Although I've been able to at least get mine working a bit, I'm concerned that this cycling and intermittent working is due to some sort of voltage variation.I certainly don'tlike the idea of the lens causing unwanted reactions in the camera electronics. I'm inclined to think that that can't be good in the long term.I'm going to ship mine back to the Canadian repair facility and hope they are able to resolve the issues. As I noted in my earlier post, they were certianly sympathetic and at least I don't have to deal with cross-border shipping again.

Cheers, Mike
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 11:19 AM   #22

Let me know how the repairs go Mike. I might undertake it also if it becomes too big an issue......Don.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 11:52 AM   #23

Yes, Don I will definitely keep you and other list members aware of progress. It would be good to both get the lens fixed and also find out what the specific problem is so that others will be aware and better able to explain the issue and fix to Sigma's repair facilities.

Cheers, Mike
Old May 21, 2006, 1:14 PM   #24

Mike,

Thanks for keeping us informed, I will look forward to hearing about your experience.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 8:38 AM   #25

I just got my Sigma 24-135 back after warantee repair (in Canada). Slip says that the AF system was repaired. I contacted the repair shop to ask if they could give me more detail on exactly what was repaired and what they found wrong, but so far no reply. I've only taken a couple of shots so far with the lens but at least it seems to be working. Only thing I noticed so far is that is seems to lock on and off focus quite a bit if I continue to hold down the shutter half way and try to recompose. Will review what I've taken and post shots that either seem to be decent or have issues. Will also post any more information I might get on the specifics of the repair.

Cheers, Mike
Old Jul 30, 2006, 8:32 PM   #26

I promised to to let people know about my experiences with this lens ... particularly those who live in Canada and bought the lens from the States. In mid June I got this lens back from repair shop under warantee repair. It still did not work properly ... could not access the camera menu with the lens attached and the focus would not hold with the shutter held half way down. After about 4 weeks, I called the repair shop (Gentec International) and was told that they had ordered a new chip from Japan but it was on back order. Because of the delay they replaced the lens with a new one. Since this one was Canadian sourced it carries a 5-year guarantee rather than the 1-year one that is given for the same lens in the US ... no idea why. The new lens seems to be working fine. Menu is accessible but the focus still seems to hunt a bit and have a difficult time locking. However, at least it is useable. If any one else in Canada if having issues with this lens here is the contact information I have:

Gentec International
90 Royal Crest Court
Markham, Ontario
L3R 9X6

telephone (905) 513-7733
fax (905) 415-9715
e-mail [email protected]

Old Aug 9, 2006, 9:20 PM   #27

I bought the lens from Cameta, first lens came with no menu problem, but serious focus problem, no pic is sharp at max aperture. Got a replacement, now not only the focus problem is still here, but also I have the menu problem. I'm really pissed.

What would you guys suggest me to do? Cameta doesn't refund, so should I send it to Sigma (which cost me shipping) or should I send it to Cameta and get yet a third lens for exchange?
niceguysanantonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 9:32 PM   #28

Tough call, does the focus problem exist with other lenses? Perhaps you should check that out. I believe the menu problem is the lens but to get two with the same focus problem leaves me wondering.

Ira
Old Aug 9, 2006, 10:14 PM   #29

That is a tough call. Mine focuses ok, but menu access is hit and miss. Weirdest thing of all is that after I've had the camera on for a while using this lens, the menu starts being more accessible. Not sure of the time frame involved with this, but it does happen. The menu access is workable on my lens. You just have to persist, and be quick. I don't think I'll send mine in for repair. Only paid $100c for it total, and have used it a lot. Doesn't owe me anything.......cheers.....Don.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 10:44 PM   #30

Don, I know how you feel, mine cost about $100Cdn total and within the first three months I earned $270 with it. I hope it continues to work but it has certainly acquitted itself well.

Ira

BTW here is a sample picture I just posted in another thread. This was shot at 55mm and f5.6. The image quality is great, this picture has only been resized, no other post processing at all.