Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 17, 2006, 7:27 PM   #21

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I found out that you don't focus with the ring - just move the camera around to focus.
A couple of examples taken with the 50mm lens:

Baby Grapes - these will be a bunch of grapes in a few months:

H , that's the best way to use a macro lense also. you can also use ''focus trap''. i find it useful but you have to go slow..
and your feelings for the 2x cont. were my feelings also when i knocked out the glass on mine..
Old May 17, 2006, 11:52 PM   #22

One more, from lunch. I'm getting a better handle on this (use f22 if possible, and a table top tripod comes in handy). It does take extra time, but thought today's results were better. This is both cropped and resized, so it isn't 100% but it isn't just resized. I did use a bit of USM, but not much - taken witha 50mm f1.7 lens. Now I'm confused again - this is fun.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 1:05 AM   #23

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I almost didn't include the dandilion - I would have liked it better if I had gotten it sharper.
I'm not sure i would. What caught me with that pic was the "veil"-feeling it gives. Technically and artistically perfect isn't always the same thing.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 8:14 AM   #24

this is nice. i think i'd have added a little saturation or an 'apply image' with 'overlay' at a low% to beef it up and sharpen it some. the dandelion is still the best by far..

roy
Old May 18, 2006, 10:31 AM   #25

I can't win with my monitor at home, I think. At first it seemed like I had it set too light - when I looked at my pictures on (the good) monitor at work, they all seemed too dark. I adjusted the one at home so that it wasn't quite as light and now things that look good on it are too light when I get to work. I really hate to spend the money on a monitor calibration device when there's lenses to buy etc.

What impressed me about this photo is that I had never seen the little hairs in the center of this flower - I had never noticed them before.The flower isa little one on ground cover planted next to my office building and usually you can't see into the center much (entire flower barely 2" across). There are some days when I wish I knew more about plants and flowers - it's a very common one and I have no idea what it's called.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 11:47 AM   #26

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
There are some days when I wish I knew more about plants and flowers - it's a very common one and I have no idea what it's called.
Can you post a picture of the entire plant including flower and leafs? I don't know if I recognize it, but exotic flowers is another hobby of mine, and anything that grows in California is exotic to mefor sure .

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 8:30 PM   #27

hi Harriet, look in your computer and see if you have Adobe Gamma. i'm not sure how i got it (maybe it came with another program like elements 2 which i have or maybe it came with the computer) anyhow it made a huge difference in my prints. it's subjective in that you have to make a couple of tonal comparisons and adjust by eye but it works well enough for me for now. i redo it once a month or so or when my prints stop matching the screen.

all the best, eric

by the way i also like the dandelion.
ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 9:27 PM   #28

hey sprout and H,
adobe gamma comes with all the PS programs.. i think it works great as my prints look very much like my monitor..
Old May 19, 2006, 9:29 PM   #29

robar wrote:
Quote:
hey sprout and H,
adobe gamma comes with all the PS programs.. i think it works great as my prints look very much like my monitor..
oh harriet,
isn't it weird that the image you were not going to include in your post rates the highest so far??? oh well......hehehe

roy
Old May 20, 2006, 5:44 AM   #30

I shot this one through an old SMC Pentax 55mm F/1.8 lens mounted on an Asahi #3 extension tube using my istDS. Not as sharp as reversing the lens (I have a 52mm reversing ring), but much safer than exposing the vulnerable rear element.

I always use a tripod and flash (Sigma EF-500 DG Super) with a lens aperture between F/11 and F/22 for best results.
Greg

Attached Images

perigee is offline   Reply With Quote