Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 16, 2006, 6:54 PM   #1

Hi,

Pls, apologized for asking that are little bit out of subject.

I just curious w the new series of DA lenses for the forth coming list on the road map realized by Pentax a few month ago.

There are no lenses w super fast (faster than f 2,8) lenses available even they stated as limited version. This is contrary w the era of film which we can find super fast lenses at affordable price w superior performance.

Are there any thought behind this trend?

Cheers.

Ertomo
ertomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2006, 11:38 AM   #2

Agreed. There is a general trend towards smarter(?), smaller, lighter, slower lens. Majority of them are to be made in low cost area rather than Japan. I was written about it and some members said it was the trend for the new economy. I am old fashioned and if I have choice, I will choose lens made in Japan. Period. I can tell you that any lens that Pentax has discontinued are bound to go up in price . Some tend to dismiss them as rather outdated. I would say they cost more to make . And I would at anytime buy a used FA100mm2.8 macro (made in Japan and weigh 1 lb) rather than a new DA100mm 2.8 macro (made in Vietnam and weigh just half of its older brother). And I can also bet that in 2 years the older brother can be sold at a higher price than the newer ones too.

BTW you are not off topic.

Daniel

ertomo wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

Pls, apologized for asking that are little bit out of subject.

I just curious w the new series of DA lenses for the forth coming list on the road map realized by Pentax a few month ago.

There are no lenses w super fast (faster than f 2,8) lenses available even they stated as limited version. This is contrary w the era of film which we can find super fast lenses at affordable price w superior performance.

Are there any thought behind this trend?

Cheers.

Ertomo
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 12:44 PM   #3

i for one will not take that bet.. if you have old glass, it's probably a good idea to hold on to it..

roy
Old May 18, 2006, 2:29 PM   #4

I share your disappointment about the missing superfast lenses. I was looking forward to the new 21mm - until they annouced it to be F3.2.......

But then I'm not so shure about the second question raised: that the new DA's are generally of lower quality.

The German Fotomagazin recently (n.4/2006) carried a test of superwide primes. The Pentax DA 14/2.8 was up against a Canon 14/2.8L USM and a Nikkor 14/2.8 D ED - both the latter full-frame optics. Conclusion: The Pentax DA was not only lighter and more compact, but also clearly superior in optical quality on a digital camera and had a "professionel" build quality.Even thoughit costs less than half of the Canon and Nikon lenses.

Yours

Lars
lkch is offline   Reply With Quote