Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 18, 2006, 5:15 PM   #1

[align=left]Hi,[/align]

[align=left]I forgot the link to the web shown comparison how those different kind lenses work to capture pictures on film & CCD, but one of critical issue for old lenses to work w DSLR is lack of capabilities to handle Chromatic Aberration (CA).[/align]

[align=left]In fact, I found so many pictures shot w old lenses here (many come out from 30 years old lenses !) that are not dedicated lens for digital camera but stilldeliver outstanding quality in par (or better ?)against quality pictures come out from DA series.[/align]

[align=left]Besides the crop factor which we can't use DA lenses on 35 mm film format, are there any draw backs to use old lenses on DSLR? What are the advantages of optical quality of Pentax lenses vs other ?[/align]

[align=left]I don't want to be a victim of marketing tricks.[/align]

[align=left]Cheers,[/align]

[align=left]Ertomo[/align]
ertomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2006, 5:28 PM   #2

your blue is almost impossible to read without selecting it.

the older lenses are GREAT!!!! only DA i have is the kit lense. it'll stay that way for the forseeable future.. the DA lenses are also rated as if they were 35mm kenses. IE: the DA 50-200 is actually a 75-300 just like the 35mm lenses.. many people don't know this but it's a fact.. me, i think a lot of the DA hype is just alot of BS.. correct me if i'm wrong.. i know it's not but you do not have to have the DA lenses to get great quality images. correct me if i'm wrong..
Old May 18, 2006, 5:31 PM   #3

how's this for a 30 year old lens??

Old May 19, 2006, 1:23 AM   #4

Hello Ertomo

I'm not shure if this post is a comment on my post in your earlier thread - but anyway:

Just for clarification: I'm not saying that older lenses are no good on DSLR's. On the contrary: I use several SMC-A's and FA's with great pleasure.In fact I find the ability to use old lenses to be one of the major advantages of Pentax in the amateur DSLR class. It gives me a possibilty to use great optics for a reasonable - sometimes even very low - price.

I have written about it on my webpage - but since its in danish only,thats probably of limited use to this list

But that doesn't necessarily mean, that DA's can't have their advantages -being optimized for digital, as they are. And I se absolutely no reason for generally writing off the DA's as inferior.

Yours

Lars
lkch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 9:44 AM   #5

lkch wrote:
Quote:
I have written about it on my webpage - but since its in danish only,thats probably of limited use to this list
Not to all, I've had a look and found that we havemore than one interest in common (AOF/ABF, fagbevegelsen)(to the non-multilingual: Danish and Swedish are closely related and easily understood in both directions):-)

Good to hear from you again Lars, I've felt a little lonely in this corner of the world.

About lenses: I can only confirm what Lars writes, the older lenses are sometimes even better with the DSLR than they were on the analog cameras they were made for, since they only make use of the inner part of the image circle, which usually is the best.

Kjell

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 12:26 PM   #6

lkch wrote:
Quote:
But that doesn't necessarily mean, that DA's can't have their advantages -being optimized for digital, as they are. And I se absolutely no reason for generally writing off the DA's as inferior.

Yours

Lars
no no sorry, i didn't in any way mean that the DA lenses were not any good. i've seen remarkable shots from them.. my attitude stems from the size of the image circle.. if i want to shoot some film then the DAs are useless, almost.. what if pentax(samsung) come out with a full size sensor?? will our DA lenses be any good??
Old May 19, 2006, 1:02 PM   #7

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Not to all, I've had a look and found that we havemore than one interest in common (AOF/ABF, fagbevegelsen) (to the non-multilingual: Danish and Swedish are closely related and easily understood in both directions):-)

Good to hear from you again Lars, I've felt a little lonely in this corner of the world.
Hejsan Kjell

Feel free to browse my site for anything you might find usefull

For some reason, there might not bee that many Pentaxians in Scandinavia. However, when it comes to photography in general, I don't think you have any reasons to feel lonely in Sweden. You have a veryactive photo-community, and magazines such as "Foto" displays avery high level of quality. In fact, even if it hurts to admit, as adane I'm a bit envious...

Yours

Lars

Old May 19, 2006, 1:25 PM   #8

robar wrote:
Quote:
...what if pentax(samsung) come out with a full size sensor?? will our DA lenses be any good??

Full frame doesn't appeal that much to me. One of my main reasons for choosing Pentax was compactness. FF will inevitably mean bigger and heavier cameras.

The two main arguments in favour of FF are:

1) Wide angle will still be wide angle

2) Less noise

In respect to 1) I would just refer to the test of the DA 14/2.8 I quoted in a resent post. It shows that it's possible to produce a compact, high quality lens with an angle of view comparable to 21 mm in FF at a reasonable price. Even wider lenses already exist. I'm sure that Canon could produce a similar lens at a similar price – but then again: that would undermine a major argument for their FF strategy…

In respect to 2) I accept the argument. However, at 6MP noise is not a major problem with the APS-size sensor, and even 10MP can be reached without noise becoming too heavy. For the moment, I'm quite content with resolutions in this range. And even though I recognize, that there is a physical connection between noise and sensor size, I'm confident that noise-reduction algorithms will improve along with growing resolution.

All in all: I don't worry much about FF.

Yours

Lars

Edit: One more thing that came to my mind: lenses made for film camera will not necessarily bee good performers on FF digitals. For tecnical reasons, a digital sensor needs to be hit by light in an angle as close to 90 degrees as possible. Since this is not required by film, pre-digital lenses are not designed to accomodate that. The problem gets worse, the closer to the edge of the image-circle you get. But as APS-sensors don't use the outermost partof the image circle of af film-lens - as noted by Kjell in a previous post -it will not be that noticeable. However, on a FF DSLR it certainly will.

Old May 19, 2006, 1:42 PM   #9

your site lars looks very nice. i've a question. what kind of animal is this?
http://www.christianehoej.dk/album/v...mp;kat=Diverse
google doesn't tranlate dane very well.

roy
Old May 19, 2006, 1:54 PM   #10

Hello Roy

It's a beaver of some sort. I took the picture in a zoo. At that time I was using a Canon compact. I simply leaned over the fence, put the camera into the face of the beaver and pushed the button. Wonder if I would have done the same, had I had my *istDS at that time.....