Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 19, 2006, 7:35 AM   #1

Hello one and all,

I recently bought 2 pentax lenses (an 18-55 & 50-200mm lenses), they are great I must say, however I have found that I photograph a wide range of things in one session, and keep having to change lenses midway.

I am going on holiday to Portugal in June and would specifically like a digital lens that would cover a very wide range, so that I don't have to change the lens at all whilst I am away and so that i don't have to carry more than one lens.

However my problem lies in that the sigma 24-135mm,18-200mm,28-300mm and the tamron 28-300mmlensesall seem to have bad reviews.

Does anybody have any ideas or advice that they could give me please? Many thanks in advance.

electric-soup
electric-soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2006, 8:32 AM   #2

Hi

Like you my shots are not ever the same Focal length and i am for ever Changing lenses . So as a good compromise I Got the Pentax FA 28-105MM 3.2-4.5. Nice and sharp. Best money i have every spent.
This is my everday lense.
I also have the kit lense, Pentax FA-50mm 1.4, and Sigma 70-300.

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 3:24 PM   #3

Not sure what your budget is, or the range you are looking for - but I've heard great things about the Pentax 24-90. This is the one I'm going after when I get more $$ - sells for around $430, kinda pricey in my book..... (but not compared to other options)

ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 6:18 PM   #4

I use the Sigma 18-125 and it is great. Clean & sharp. In the range of the Pentax kit lens I see no real difference. I also have the Sigma 28-300 for more range when needed. I tried the 28-200 and felt the extra range the 28-300 offered was well worth the extra money.
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 7:17 PM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Similar to BK, I mostly use a 28mm-105mm lens (except I have a Sigma). It is very fast lens (F/2.8) and produces sharp pictures. However, I must admit that I always have the need for a longer zoom. Therefore, I throw my Sigma 70mm-300mm in my backpack. A small price to pay in order to capture the moment!

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 7:31 PM   #6

I use the 50-200 lens the majority of the time, but like you, always seem to be changing lenses. At the moment I'm trying to decide whether I really need to be dragging around the kit lens - I have a 24mm f2.8 lens that I could use for what little wide angle I'd want, I think. I'll still end up carrying 2 lenses around and changing them all the time, but that's OK. Gives me a chance to think about what I want to take and why. Gets me more involved in the process, which may or may not be a good idea (I can get so wrapped up in process that I forget about composition).

The more I try to cut down on the weight of my camera bag, the more it gains weight. If it's not a new lens it's some other accessory I really need. Does it ever end?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 7:41 PM   #7

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
The more I try to cut down on the weight of my camera bag, the more it gains weight. If it's not a new lens it's some other accessory I really need. Does it ever end?
harriet,
why do you think they market back packs??
and then again, why do they market roll around camera bags??

guess the answer is a definate NO !!!

roy
Old May 19, 2006, 7:45 PM   #8

electric-soup wrote:
Quote:
Does anybody have any ideas or advice that they could give me please? Many thanks in advance.

electric-soup
the range you have with just 2 lenses is ideal. they cover just about all you are going to shoot. there is no GREAT ,one lense, that will give you good results. you might want to pick up a couple of primes your lenses don't cover as in a wide 10-14mm and a 300mm. of course if you use primes you'll be changeing lenses even more often..
Old May 20, 2006, 5:35 AM   #9

robar wrote:
Quote:
electric-soup wrote:
Quote:

electric-soup
the range you have with just 2 lenses is ideal. they cover just about all you are going to shoot. there is no GREAT ,one lense, that will give you good results. you might want to pick up a couple of primes your lenses don't cover as in a wide 10-14mm and a 300mm. of course if you use primes you'll be changeing lenses even more often..
I second that. Once you are in prime lens territories, particularly all the great 50mm & 100mm macro or no macro, you will know why.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 6:57 PM   #10

robar wrote:
Quote:
harriet,
why do you think they market back packs??
and then again, why do they market roll around camera bags??

guess the answer is a definate NO !!!

roy
LOL! I found out a long time ago that I don't like camera backpacks - you are always taking them off and putting them on. I use a shoulder bag mostly for day-to-day stuff and have started using a camera fanny pack that a friend gave me several years ago when I hike (just swing it around my waist). Only problem is that I have to decide what I think I might want on the hike, and I always want whatever I've left at home...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote