Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 19, 2006, 8:42 PM   #1

First and foremost a big thanks to those who have helped me decide.It was not as easy as i thought as there are a few nice DLSR on the market.However after holding all the contenders in my hand Nikon D50,Canon Rebel XT,and the Pentax istDL2,I decided that the Pentax it's not only a great value with the two lense kit but it's also very nice to look at in the all black body.Lastly it felt good in my hands.So I placed my order today should be here next week.I'm looking forward to learning and participate in this forum,with my limited knowledge.Once again my sincere thanks to all.

quartz
quartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2006, 9:21 PM   #2

a hearty CONGRATS !!!
looking to see your images. also , remember the only stupid question is the one you don't ask...

roy
Old May 19, 2006, 9:47 PM   #3

robar wrote:
Quote:
a hearty CONGRATS !!!
looking to see your images. also , remember the only stupid question is the one you don't ask...

roy
Thanks Roy:

Don't worry. I will be asking a lot of questions.It's the only way to learn.

Ross
Old May 23, 2006, 10:56 AM   #4

What made you chose the IST DL2 over the Nikon D50? I'm a D50 owner and I'm currently helping a family friend purchase a dSLR. She has an older Pentax AF film SLR but only a basic (cheap) 28-80mm lens for it. She'll be buying new (longer) glass regardless of which body she picks. We've basicly narrowed it down to the IST DL & DL2 or the Nikon D50. The Pentax seems to be had atleast $100 less online. I remember I picked the D50 because of more lens options and slightly better high ISO sensitivity but that was back in January when prices were pretty much equal. Now the Pentax can be had online from reputable dealers as low as $420 for the body while it seems at many places the price of the D50 has gone up!

Any comparissons (both technical and subjected) are greatly appreciated!
Stephen Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 12:51 PM   #5

Stephen

Other than the greater buffer depth with the D50 there is very little difference in overall performance. Both have strengths and weaknesses but image quality is very similar (same sensor). For example Nikon uses a proproetary Li-ion battery for longer life (but expensive replacement) while Pentax uses cheap NiMH AA cells (which you must supply yourself). I own a DL and I like it very much, especially the better viewfinder magnification. The old 28-80mm lens is not really a big deal (although it actually performs a little better on my DL than it did on the MZ-7).

Your call on this, neither choice is a bad one and the Pentax is currently a very good buy.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 1:11 PM   #6

I'll probably steer her towards the Pentax though she reall enjoys my D50. It turns out her old lens is actually an 18-55mm so i'll tell her to hold on to it if she needs to shoot something wider but probably reccomend the 28-200mm f/3.5 for her general purpose lens (she's said she wants something longer and loves the range of my Tamron 28-300 f/3.5).
Old May 23, 2006, 10:13 PM   #7

Hi Stephen:

It took me a while to make a decision.The Nikon D50 was my other choice,in the end I went with the DL2 for a few reasons.The price for the DL2with the18-55 and 50-200 is hard to ignore, and the DL2 viewfinder in my opinion is a bit better.Lastly the DL2 simply felt better in my hands.Again nothing wrong with the D50 I just liked the Pentax better.

Ross
Old May 24, 2006, 8:06 AM   #8

Ya, they're pretty much a push. Theses were my two main choices when purchasing back in January because I already had quite a bit of SD memory. I picked the D50 for the better high ISO performance, mainly because I was moving to dSLR from P&S mainly due to poor (or non-existent) high ISO performance. I didn't notice any difference in the viewfinder but I was comparing to the IST DL, not the DL2.

Can anyone fill me in on differences in the DL & DL2?

Thanks
Old May 28, 2006, 8:54 AM   #9

Hy everybody!

I will have my dl2 comming in 2 weeks. I am verry anxious about touching it. I have got a fuji s9000 and used it for some monthes. It was ok but far from what a dslr is in a matter of noise. Actually it wasn't much better than the s7000 I have used a full year. I loved that camera and got to know how to work with it quite short before I sold it. Actually in 12mp soft setting the pictures looked quite well when I compare them now with some expensive cameras and the prints were outstanding. I would have expected more from s9000 but somehow it was not, even than in some many ways it was improved.

So I did search on pbase and others for pentax ist dl samples and I was quite impressed. The sensor might be the same with nikon but the colours are outstanding. Real and warm. I like it better than any other camera at this range of price and even more than the canon 350d.

Hope to give me pleasure in use and few bucks as well.

Hy monza76. You have been a great help on fuji s9000 forum. So after a time with fuji I turn to pentax. See you around.
aenhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 9:12 PM   #10

Hi Aenhim:

You will love your DL2 just got mine on Friday.Since we were going away up north to a resort on a lake ,I thought it would be a good time to get to know the new camera .I took most of the photos in Auto Picture Mode and the results were impressive to say the list.I'm going to learn how to post some of the images very soon.All I can say is the colors of the photos are truly awesome.

Ross