Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 22, 2006, 5:04 AM   #11

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
OK, here is the original by itself:

ira, it looks like you are getting some vignetting on this shot. i had a problem w/that this morn with a CP and UV on the kit lens at 18mm. sorry - no pix as the CP is a POS. i did enjoy the sail tho..

roy
Old May 22, 2006, 10:27 AM   #12

Roy

The kit lens seems to vignette with a polarizer attached (I think it is borderline with no filter at all). The shed which was shot with the Sigma 24-135mm shows no such problem (it is a 35mm capable lens). The first Stage head shot, also at 18mm,also shows a little darkening in the corners.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 10:37 AM   #13

Love the fishing shed, but I still vote for some detail in the sky instead of flat grey.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 11:06 AM   #14

Image deleted.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 11:25 AM   #15

I used Photoshop Highlights & Shadows to bring out the detail in the sky plus & adjusted the levels to darken down the shed to give it more mode.
Attached Images

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 11:34 AM   #16

Couldn't resist straightening out the perspective in the lighthouse shot - hope you don't mind
Attached Images

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 12:19 PM   #17

Actually I like Ira's versions better (it was a good idea to pull out the clouds from the grey, though).I think the last two are a litte "overdone".

imho, Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 12:42 PM   #18

nice shots, Ira.newfoundland has been on my to visit list for years. always love seeing pictures from there (and otherplaces around the world!)

my 2 cents on the editing.....i also am impressed with the job you did putting in the blue sky, but i prefer the original. note that my bias is almost always towards leaving a photo with its original elements and only doing basic colour correction and some levels adjustment. you mentioned getting there on a nicer day, and that's part of the fun of photography for me, returning to places/subjects and trying again. lately there has been a lot of discussion in various photo magazines and also nat. geo. about "photo ethics" and i'm glad you chose full disclosure:G

all the best, eric

ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 1:04 PM   #19

I too prefer the gray sky with the lighthouse. The pasted sky might not look too bad if you sparkled up the photo first to make it look like a shot taken on a sunny day.

I prefer Catbells' darker boat house, but I would clone out the houses across the bay. They are a distraction and detract from the isolated mood.

I see a business opportunity in a paint distributorship for Gander. It is a pity to not protect the old lighthouse quarters for future generations.

You live in a wonderful place for photography.

I'm not as big a fan as some of making all the lines vertical. I think converging lines often adds to the depth of a photo. But in the case of the lighthouse I think a little might be in order. The extreme convergence draws your eye too much IMO.

Attached Images

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 1:05 PM   #20

i'm with eric on this also. some PP is expected, that's why i shoot in raw. but if i change the image by adding or subtracting i always come clean..

it's a lot fun doing it tho.. roy