Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 22, 2006, 9:42 PM   #31

Thanks Roy, I just set up my Photobucket account and started uploading images.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 12:16 AM   #32

Well, Ira, I just completed a ten day tour on the other side of Canada last month. Now you have caused me to consider traveling to your side of the country. Nice images, and I enjoyed (and picked up a few ideas from) the exchange. Thanks to all.

Regards,

Lawrence
Dr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 1:12 PM   #33

Lawrence

I intend to post more pictures from this outing and over the next few months I may concentrate on finding a photographic "style" for this type of imageso lots more to come.

I am hoping that with input from all of you, as I have received in this thread, I can develop farther as a photographer. I have learned a lot about portrait photography in recent months, I have had some success with architectural subjects, I have dabbled in very limited macro work, I have shot a little wildlifeand candid low-light work is coming along but I have never been very successful with landscapes so this may be my opportunity to practice.

Ira
Old May 23, 2006, 2:46 PM   #34

Here is another example from Twillingate, Newfoundland. (too bad no icebergs)

The "Merchant's" Property:

Enjoy, Ira
Old May 23, 2006, 2:58 PM   #35

Ira, in "Rugged Coastline" you have achieved something I always (unsuccessfully) struggle with. It has that three-dimensional feeling that you have when you stand there and look with your biological stereovision, and wonder where it went when you look at your two-dimensional photos at home. Congrats, what did you say about "I have never been very successful with landscapes so this may be my opportunity to practice". I wish I could start practising from that level!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 3:23 PM   #36

Ira,

I agree with Roy and never even thought about your images being anything other than what you posted them as. As digital many times requires some PP, that has never been an issue and I have at least always taken anything posted just as the photographer stated it was.

Another joy of the digital darkroom (compared to a chemical darkroom, where photo manipulation always happens) is being able to change images for the better far easier that it use to be. I was suggesting that you take the original photo with the new blue sky and just tone the sky down to a greyer color, but leave the clouds in not shoot a new image.

I taught photography for over 30 years and photo manipulation was always a part of the curriculum both in the darkroom and on the computer. It never occurred to me to question the honesty of anyone on this forum and I always enjoy each and every post.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 4:09 PM   #37

Thanks Kjell, I did a little post processing to make the distant shore a little darker and that may be why it stands out.

Tom, I have read some of Ansel Adams' books and he really created his images in the darkroom by heavily manipulating his photographs through traditional methods. Given that the master himself delved into post processing I guess we can take a little freedom. My only issues are with images that are created for some other agenda such as to sway public opinion or perpetrate a hoax.

Ira

Note that I have shrunk the avatar, I was getting tired of looking at myself.

I am now posting images at http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/Monza76/
Old May 23, 2006, 7:38 PM   #38

I think it's interesting when you get a bunch of photographers together to discuss this, and there are different sides to the issue. My personal two cents go along with Ira - it's dishonest for photojournalists recording historical eventsto clone things into their pictures or do similar manipulation. For the bunch of us that are here taking pictures for pleasure and art, then make the best picture you can. But be prepared to answer the question "How cool! How did you do that?!" because I'll probably want to know how to do it, too.

And what's wrong with cloning a big (and impressive) century plant that was on one side of a picture and made it unbalanced? The resulting image was pleasing and the subject of the photo was really the dog (I did that once). For me, digital photography is art, and learning manipulationtechniques in photoshop is just as important as learning technical techniques available with my camera. Just wish I could get really good at both of them (sigh).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 2:47 PM   #39

I promised more:

Past Glory:

The past restored:

The other side of the lighthouse:

A glimpse into a lost livelyhood:

On to the North Atlantic (barrel distortion of the kit lens at 18mm is clearly visible in the strange horizon):

Any comments on these images is welcome.

Ira
Old May 27, 2006, 2:51 PM   #40

Had to sneak in a shot of my partner in crime, hope she doesn't see this. This is a 100% crop BTW, taken by the lighthouse in Twillingate. The dull overcast made for excellent people-picture lighting.

Ira
Attached Images