Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 27, 2006, 9:45 PM   #41

Here are the last items, some black and whites to capture the mood:

The Stage Head museum:

A fishing shed at the waters edge:

A small shed (honest):

Another beach front property:

All of these were shot in the town of Twillingate, an iceberg watcher's Mecca (except this year with no icebergs yet, just my luck).

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 10:00 PM   #42

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Had to sneak in a shot of my partner in crime, hope she doesn't see this. This is a 100% crop BTW, taken by the lighthouse in Twillingate. The dull overcast made for excellent people-picture lighting.

Ira
when i purchared the ds i was going to sell the s7000. i could have gotten at the time what i had paid for it, under 400usd. i got a deal. but my crime partner would not part with it.. dam&. there went the first lense i wanted..

the s7000 is a great cam. i've noticed in a number of places people upgrading from fuji to pentax.,

roy
Old May 28, 2006, 9:18 AM   #43

Roy,

I was very active on the Fuji digicam forum, discussing the idea of getting an S9000. I eventually took the plunge into a DSLR knowing that my previous 35mm experience would not make me happy with any digicam available today.

Except for the startup time (and the racket it made extending the lens) I really liked the S7000 in good light. Even the 3MP ISO 800 mode was quite usable (especially compared to the awful high ISO performance of the 8MP digicams of that era, imagine, 2 years ago is an era?!?, this technology moves way too fast).

Here are some pictures, on the same theme, shot with the S7000. These are just linked and I will remove them if there are any objections.

Ira
Old May 29, 2006, 6:26 AM   #44

An image that factually represents a location or scene as it was at the time of taking that picture is what photography is about.

The ability to manipulate or to enhance (beyond simple lighting etc) the image to have it represent something that the photographer wants to depict is ART and as they say "An ART worth your learning".

A truly brilliant photograher (one that we all aspire to) is someone who can see the ART in the scene and take the factual shot is such a way as for it to appear as ART without manipulation.

Recently on a photography course I was on, all the students were required to go out and take a series of shots of things listed on a work sheet. They included macro, panning etc etc.

We all had N*k*n D100's (I wish they would have let me use my Pentax ) and the difference between the images that everyone came back to the classroom with, truly showed the natural artists from the text book photographers.

Some images were technically correct and were well exposed and focused and composed but that was it, while others just seemed to leap out at you and to have captured the moment.

I aspire to be a brilliant photographer, but in the mean time thank god for RSE and Photoshop. aranoid:

IRA, I like the modified image and I like the at fact that you told us that you modified it. The perspective is different in angle and distortion, one being at 18mm and the other not so barrelled between the sky and the light house and it sort of looks "not quite right".

I think we ned to start an ongoing thread of the most ART type images we can produce...:shock:
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 7:01 AM   #45

Here is one I have been proud of, Taken witha Pentax but not a DSLR, instead a lowly Optio 33L:

The only manipulation here was a slight darkening through levels, cropping and resizing.

Ira
Old Jun 3, 2006, 10:38 PM   #46

crashman, well said. i wonder if the reason you had to all use the same cameras was to level the field as far as equipment went? of course it wouldn't have been fair to the others to let you use your Pentax! :G

Ira, i like all your photos but that last one is outstanding.

all the best and keep on shoot'n, eric
ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 9:02 PM   #47

This Saturday I took the "shake down cruise" on the coastal ship Northern Ranger. This vessel services coastal community on the northern Labrador coast every summer, but there is an annual day cruise around Notre Dame Bay.

Here are a few pictures from this years cruise:

1- The last resting place for a couple of pre-WWII vessels.

2- A day under sail.

3- Out of the Fog.

4- Exploits Island Lighthouse.

5- Resettlement, a Newfoundland ghost town. These are now used as summer cottages in most cases.

6- An old lobster fishing stage.

7- Fog and a rugged shoreline.

Comments are welcome. BTW, all these shots were taken with the FA 100-300mm, and as there are two very different versions of this lens, mine must be identified as the f4.7-5.8 version with the silver finish and plastic lens mount. This is a very nice lens which is quite sharp (especially when you consider these were shot aboard a small ship in motion and are hand held, mostly at or near the 300mm end).

Enjoy
Ira
Old Jun 25, 2006, 8:03 PM   #48

Two more pictures from June 25/ 2006

Dory on slipway:

Sailing off into the fog in your land yacht:

Old Jun 25, 2006, 10:06 PM   #49

LOL! I like the first one, and the title makes the second one. Very nice.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:31 AM   #50

Great shot and good work!
Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote