Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 26, 2006, 1:52 AM   #21

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Looks like the K100D has only two advantages over the DL, the camera shake reduction and a name that makes sense.

Ira
I think there's more than that. Per the specs PDF:
Quote:
Picture Modes Mode Dial: Auto Picture, Scene, Standard, Portrait, Night-scene Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Action, Flash Off, Program AE, Shutter Priority AE, Aperture Priority AE, Metered Manual, Bulb
Scene Modes: Night Scene, Surf & Snow, Text, Sunset, Kids, Pet, Candlelight, Museum Digital Filter
The "Scene Modes" appear to be new. The "Macro" picture mode is also new, and something I'd be interested in.
BobSlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 4:43 AM   #22

BobSlaughter wrote:
Quote:
The "Scene Modes" appear to be new. The "Macro" picture mode is also new, and something I'd be interested in.
The Macro mode is just a default setting that aims to give you you the best depth of field for close up shots - as far as I know it doesn't perform miracles in image capture.

Personally, I use Tv most of the time with a shutter speed high enough to reduce camera shake toa minimum often reducing this down when bracing arms in a tripod format on the ground.

I've never seen the point in using the Auto Pic mode & seldom use any of the scene modes - perhaps it's a legacy from my Pentax K2 / Pentax MV1 days when such features were unheard of.

To me, the most important thing in purchasing a new camera is how good are the images that it captures, ease of use& how it feels in use.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 12:43 AM   #23

I've never used the scene modes - I was using the ME, then a ZX-M before getting the Sony F717, which didn't have modes. The Panasonic had a whole bunch of them and the only one I found really useful was the snow mode - the match of white balance and exposure settings did a good job. I usually would auto-bracket with the Sony. Otherwise, I've always wondered what they offered that a basic understanding of aperture and shutter speed wouldn't do. Is there something I'm missing?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 8:19 AM   #24

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Otherwise, I've always wondered what they offered that a basic understanding of aperture and shutter speed wouldn't do. Is there something I'm missing?
you're not missing anything H. all the scene modes do is set aperture and time to a setting the camera THINKS you should use. that's it!!! i've never used them on any cam because i know the relationship of time vs aperture.. that's why i have a dslr.. M &Av is all i ever use..

roy
Old May 28, 2006, 1:24 PM   #25

The only time I have used a scene mode on my DL is when I needed continuous AF right now, and it is faster to turnthe dial to action than surf the menu.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 2:11 PM   #26

I've only used the "Auto Pict" a few times together with the pop-up flash, otherwise it's Av, Tv or M for me. I'd be happy if Pentax launched a body with only those modes, and no pop-up flash either. I'd rather see that they put the money in a sturdy, dust-and-moistprotectedbody and possibly higher resolution. A digital LX.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote