Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 24, 2006, 8:17 PM   #11

mike,
is this in AV mode? if so, are you sure the cam is not set to under expose? it's easy to set it to do this. it'll tell you in the lower right hand corner of the view finder..

roy
Old May 24, 2006, 11:35 PM   #12

Thanks for the information - I didn't realize that the screw lenses wouldn't act like a K-mount when you have the adaptor. But all this talk now has me a little confused.

When I use a K-mount with Av mode, it doesn't stop the lens down- it meters with the lens wide open, and whatever is set on the camera as far as Av value does nothing, right? If I have the camera set at f22, it's still going to take the picture at f1.7 no matter what either the camera or the aperture ring is set for, because in Av mode it won't control the lens and only measures the incoming light, which is f1.7 (wide open) (that's what I thought was happening the couple of times I've used Av mode with my K-mount lenses).

If I understand all this about screw type lenses (I've never used them before), they stop down when you turn the aperture ring, not when the camera tells it to as you press the shutter. So wouldn't the camera do something essentially the same - measure the amount of light coming in and meter the photo that way regardless of the camera settings? (It's late, and after my bed time, I'm not sure I'm making any sense). So if a camera were exposing too dark, then it's having trouble dealing with metering correctly with the light from the stopped down lens? I wonder if it has trouble when the lens is wide open?

I'd better get to bed, I think if I keep writing I'll say something really dumber than I already have! Good night, all!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 5:31 AM   #13

it's early and i've got to be off but it depends on which K mount you are using.

K & M lenses tou have to hit the Ae lock button to get a metered reading.

the A mount lens will meter with the aperture wide open and set to any f-stop
Old May 25, 2006, 10:08 AM   #14

Just to add my two cents worth of confusion here. I use screw mount super takumar lenses and here is how I do it to get good results. I take mostly wildflower pictures. I have not used a AF lens in a couple months. The old super takumars are so sharp.

Put the mode dialin manual and I use the manual setting on the lens also. I decide on what depth of field I want, but usually it is f8 or f11, so I set the lens on one of these and press the +/- button to activate the light meter, then pushing the AE-L button takes a meter reading and thissets the shutter speed. You can see this on the LCD ontop. I then turn the aperture ring on the lens wide open and focus, then turn it 4 clicks down, f8 or 6 clicks, f11 and take the picture. You will find it is easier to focus with the lens wide open and this becomes second nature pretty quick as it was when I used these lenseson the old Spotmatic.

I also have the preview mode set on 3 seconds and show histogram, so I take a quick look at the histogram and if it shows a good exposure, I'm done. If it is a little dark, I turn the shutter speed a click or two slower and retake the picture. Actually, if I am taking pictures outside, once the initial light meter is set, I just look at the histogram and seldom take another meter reading. You get pretty use to this after awhile and using the manual lens becomes focus, stop down and shoot, then quickly look at the histogram. Adjusting the shutter speed becomes second nature if you decide to stop down a little more or the histogram is to far to the right or left. It's not rocket science and its fun and easy- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 10:52 AM   #15

I think it may be time to put the split image screen in my DL and break out the MF glass.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 12:07 PM   #16

Go for it Ira, you won't be sorry - Bruce
Old May 25, 2006, 9:02 PM   #17

Bruce, I did it, mounted the large rangefinder screen and started testing my old M 50mm f1.7 and the Ricoh 28mm f2.8, what a joy. Even shooting wide open I was getting the focus acceptably accurate. The prism is not perfectly centered (looks a little high) but it still focuses with the snap of my old K1000 (not quite up to MS Super standards). Hope to test some more later. The prospect of zone focusing my old 28mm using hyperfocal distance is quite interesting, no AF lag and a very usable 42mm equivalent angle of view, a street photographers dream.

Now I definitely want the Minolta based screen and some nice A-series glass.

Ira
Old May 26, 2006, 12:34 AM   #18

Ira - Most of my shots are taken with an m42,28mm super takumar. Nothing like primes. A real joy to use and sharp as a tack. I've also been playing with Silkypix and am quite impressed with the quality. I think I like it better then RSE, once you get use to the workflow. They just came out with a new version of it yesterday and I couldn't help myself, so downloaded it and am trying the 2 week trial. Ihave plenty of raw images to play with. I wonder, has anyone else tried it? I think I have RCA - raw converter addition - Bruce
Old May 26, 2006, 6:12 AM   #19

Bruce, my biggest thrill is to be able to limit DOF with the 50mm f1.7, the fastest lens I have in AF will only produce f3.5 at 50mm, big difference.

Ira
Old May 27, 2006, 2:58 PM   #20

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Have you set the camera menu to allow using aperture ring? The default setting is disabled, so that's the first thing to do. Make sure you go into the custom menu options and set it to [2 permitted]. Then you can set the aperture on the ring. I push the shutter halfway down and then push the exposure lock button. That will temporarily stop down the lens and allow the camera to meter and set the shutter speed. Focus and take the picture. An advantage/disadvantage is that the shutter speed will stay that speed until you push the AE-Lock button again. It becomes second nature if you use manual lenses a lot, but I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten that one step when I've been switching back and forth!
I want to thank you for these instructions. I just got my DL last week and have been struggling with how to make my old K-mount lens work properly with the DL. Putting the camera in 'M'anual, half pressing the shutter and pressing the AE lock did the trick.

Once again, thanks.
KennyJr is offline   Reply With Quote