Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 23, 2006, 9:21 PM   #1

I have a screw-mount Soligor 350 mm lens and an adapter for the DL. Just wanted to check on the correct way to use these older lens to get the exposure right. Presume I set the lens to an f-stop, set that aperture on the camera, and let the camera sort out the shutter speed. Is that correct? Any other suggestions or hints in getting the most out of this type of lens? Thanks.

Cheers, Mike
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2006, 12:08 AM   #2

You have a couple of choices. You can either use the camera in Av (or P or Tv, it doesn't matter, as long as it isn't M) and the manual lens will remain wide open no matter whatyou have the aperture ring set at. Or you can use M and then you can set the aperture on the ring.

Have you set the camera menu to allow using aperture ring? The default setting is disabled, so that's the first thing to do. Make sure you go into the custom menu options and set it to [2 permitted]. Then you can set the aperture on the ring. I push the shutter halfway down and then push the exposure lock button. That will temporarily stop down the lens and allow the camera to meter and set the shutter speed. Focus and take the picture. An advantage/disadvantage is that the shutter speed will stay that speed until you push the AE-Lock button again. It becomes second nature if you use manual lenses a lot, but I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten that one step when I've been switching back and forth!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 5:35 AM   #3

Mike

I regularly use screw mount lens via a Pentax adaptor.

Because the adaptor has no mechanical connection to the lens you have to set the apeture and use the Av or apeture priority mode.

This is the old fashioned stop down metering method. It can make focusing a bit hard with the reduced light, so focus at wide open if necessary then stop the lens down to meter.

You can use fully manual mode but you still have to move the apeture ring on the lens but I do prefer the Apeture priority method.

Phil
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 10:07 AM   #4

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
You have a couple of choices. You can either use the camera in Av (or P or Tv, it doesn't matter, as long as it isn't M) and the manual lens will remain wide open no matter whatyou have the aperture ring set at. Or you can use M and then you can set the aperture on the ring.

Have you set the camera menu to allow using aperture ring? The default setting is disabled, so that's the first thing to do. Make sure you go into the custom menu options and set it to [2 permitted]. Then you can set the aperture on the ring. I push the shutter halfway down and then push the exposure lock button. That will temporarily stop down the lens and allow the camera to meter and set the shutter speed. Focus and take the picture. An advantage/disadvantage is that the shutter speed will stay that speed until you push the AE-Lock button again. It becomes second nature if you use manual lenses a lot, but I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten that one step when I've been switching back and forth!
harriet,
you are thinking of a K mount lense that will stop down when the shutter is released. the screw mount lenses will not do that. phil is correct. use Av mode with the lense stopped down already to get the proper exposure..

roy
Old May 24, 2006, 6:17 PM   #5

if you are using a bayonet lens that is capable of stopping down then you use the cam in M mode, set your aperture, and hit the AeL button to stop down the lens and get a reading.. i use a little trick with manual K & M lenses. say tou have a f4 lens and you want to shoot at f8. put the cam in Av mode and set the cam up to give you +2 exposure.. cool

roy
Old May 24, 2006, 6:52 PM   #6

Thanks to everyone who responeded. Much appreciated. However, I'm still having problems. I have a totally manual screw mount lens. When it is on the camera I cannot get the camera to work on Tv or Av settings. In other words, I turn the selector knob to these settings and then try to use the thumb wheel to set either shutter speed or aperature and nothing happens. I can move to these settings and select at will with the stock lens in place. I'm using a pentax brand screw mount adapter. Any ideas as to what's happening? Is there something else I have to change in the camerasettings first?

Cheers,Mike
Old May 24, 2006, 7:30 PM   #7

Mike

that souds the way it is supposed to work. You have no direct control over shutter speed in Av mode.

The camera automatically sets the shutter speed according to the amount of light coming through the lens.

This assumes that you have set the custom menu function as per mtngal's post.

Phil
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 7:41 PM   #8

I'm still a little confused (or dense??). How can I tell the camera what the aperture is set to on the lens. I thought I would set the lens say to 5.6, put the camera on Av and set it to 5.6, and then when I shoot the camera would choose an appropriate shutter speed based on incoming light and aperture. I've capturing some images but they are all very dark.

What am I missing here? ... I thought this was prettystraightforward but somehow I seem to be making it difficult.

Cheers, Mike
Old May 24, 2006, 8:07 PM   #9

does the view finder get darker as you close down the lens??

actually i don't think you even need the aperture ring activated for a stopped down lens. the cams taking a reading from the amount of light coming into the cam.
Old May 24, 2006, 8:31 PM   #10

Yes the viewfinder gets darker as the lens is stopped down ... the resulting pictures are very dark ... see sample. Seems like something is still not quite right.

Cheers, Mike
Attached Images