Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 23, 2006, 11:03 PM   #1

Kind of off topic, but I am going to Ohio for my daughters College graduation for her Masters and then off to Niagara Falls and then Toronto Canada.

Any thoughts on the route back from Toronto to North Western Wisconsin that would offer the best photographic opportunities?

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2006, 12:19 AM   #2

Be glad I haven't been east in many years - if you were asking about California I'd ask you how many extra miles you want to drive, and then give you a route that would take a month if you stopped at all of the possible spots. I'm sure those who live in that area would think the same. How far north in Ontario do you want to go? Years ago I had a great uncle who had a summer place in the Kawartha Lakes area (sort-of near Peterborough). Don't know if it's still as incredible as I remember, but back when I was growing up it was a magical place for a SoCal girl.

More recently I visited Quebec (both Quebec City and Montreal - I watched the LA Kings play the Nordiques and the Canadiens, so you can guess how long ago it was) and found both of them facinating (especially Quebec City).

I need to go to bed - all these wonderful memories of such interesting places is giving me itchy feet!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 10:06 AM   #3

Depending on how much time you've got, when you leave Toronto go north up via highway 400 to highway 11.

This will take you into the Muskoka region and the southern part of the Canadian shield. There are lakes everywhere.

Check out Sudbury, and take a tour of a mine.

Head to Wawa, then to Sault Ste. Marie, and take the Agawa Canyon train trip. If you google it will be the 1st hit and the scenery is spectacular. It takes a full day to take the trip and you have lunch at the bottom of the canyon.

From Sault Ste. Marie you are on the Michigan border and it should be easy to find your way home!

If you have more time, instead of going under Lake Superior, take the northern route to Thunder Bay and eventually to Duluth, then head back to Wisconsin.

Have fun! Take a BIG SD card!

Rich
Pastor Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 2:57 PM   #4

Tom, i'd definitely recommend the north of superior route if you've got the time. lots of nice "photo ops".:|check out rossport (just off hwy17 east of Nipigon)if you like sailboats. sleeping giant provincial park on the sibley penninsulahas a nice look-out platform high above lake superior looking west towards thunder bay and lots of hiking trails. i'll stick in some shots from the look-out and one from near rossportalthough they're taken with a fuji s602. all taken last fall with a fair bit of pp.

have fun, eric

Attached Images

ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 2:59 PM   #5

another
Attached Images

Old May 24, 2006, 3:05 PM   #6

another
Attached Images

Old May 24, 2006, 3:08 PM   #7

last 8^)
Attached Images

Old May 24, 2006, 11:07 PM   #8

eric, those shots are first class. Thanks for posting them.

Rich
Pastor Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 9:13 AM   #9

The one looking down is so good it made me a bit dizzy. What a wonderful scenery.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote