Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 24, 2006, 7:32 PM   #1

Came by the feeder while I was BBQing tonight. Stock lens (18-55), shot in RAW and converted in Pentax photolab. Then just cropped and made into a composite. These guys are hard to "catch" but great fun to watch :-) Hope to get a bit closer and more detail once my Sigma 24-135 gets back from the repair shop. Think a flash would help to show how beautiful they are. Anyone have other hints for making better pics of these guys?

Cheers, Mike
Attached Images

mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2006, 7:38 PM   #2

Hi

I am just A Novice at Bird pictures, But the advice Given me was to Use a tripod and the bigger the lense the better. I actually Got a 1.4x teleconverter to Use With My 70-300 Sigma.

I am sure So more experianced people will post shortly

BK

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 7:44 PM   #3

Sounds like great advice ... and a sure way to start down the path to LBA :-)

Cheers, Mike

mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 8:14 PM   #4

Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
Hi

I am just A Novice at Bird pictures, But the advice Given me was to Use a tripod and the bigger the lense the better. I actually Got a 1.4x teleconverter to Use With My 70-300 Sigma.
phil,
which 1.4 ext.??? how well does it work w/the 70-300? i've a couple of of 2Xs and they are dogs using that lens or any lens really..
Old May 24, 2006, 8:16 PM   #5

oh, mike. a flash will help a lot. a high speed sync flash will do wonders..
Old May 24, 2006, 9:06 PM   #6

This was the best I could do the other day. They are fast and hard to track to get a good shot. I like your composite photo.

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 11:42 AM   #7

We don't have humming birds here in Newfoundland, but for any bird pictures I use my 100-300mm f4.7-5.8 FA lens, usually at 300mm (the Sigma 24-135mm is just too short unless you can get really close). I have a 2X A-series teleconverter but it does not work well with the zoom, I may try it on the 200mm f3.5 screw mount lens later.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 9:24 PM   #8

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I've tried my darndest to catch a pair of humming birds that visit my feeder; of course they are always visiting when my DL is not handy; and when I have my DL ready, they never show...go figure! All of the pictures posted are fantastic. I like ennacac's image which appears to have been shot with a faster shutter speed. The DOF effect (i.e. sharp foreground and blurred background) along with the color contrast make for a well composed picture. One of these days I hope to post a couple of my own!

BTW, ennacac: what lens were you using? Did you also use a flash?

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 9:34 PM   #9

exif says a 200mm.. wow, i thought he only had that FA*300. of course i think he also has a *200mm f2.8 macro.. must be nice having glass that nice..lol, tom

roy
Old May 25, 2006, 11:41 PM   #10

Roy,

I was actually my FA* 80-200mm 2.8 that I used for that shot since it was getting late in the day and I needed the extra f/stops.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote