Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 25, 2006, 10:53 PM   #11

Canon and Nikon people tend to be brand name snobs, at least the ones I know are. When we go on a shoot together, they are always asking me what type of PP is use to get the natural color, and detailed highlights in my shots and when I tell them only USM they walk away mumbling to themselves.

The two that I shoot with the most are so heavily vested in their gear they could not afford to switch to a different brand even if they wanted to, and to be honest at least the Nikon guys D200 is faster focusing and has less shutter lag than my DS.

I think they are just putting other brands like Pentax down to justify the large investment in lenses they have, especially IS ones.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 11:13 PM   #12

Before I went digital, I used Nikons. But the *istDS felt better. Of course, I have to put up with crummy pictures like this one...

You just need a Nikon, if you want good sports pictures. :rollWFTH-I)
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 6:16 AM   #13

Barbarian, great shot.

Ira (Crummey)
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 10:44 AM   #14

Just remember, some folks drive Mercedes and wear Rolex watches, and will make sure to to inform you of such within five minutes of being introduced to them...

Nothing wrong with either brand, and they are quite good, but it is one thing to own them, it is another when your ego is tied up in informing folks you have them, as though you are now a "member of the club"

Frankly, I think it is just personal psychological insecurity, when you must spend $XXX or use/wear XXX, and then inform others that you have those possessions...

Has anyone here actually thought better of someone because he drove XXX, or wore XXX on his wrist, or had XXX clothing???...I can enjoy the products if I had them, but I could care less if one has them...

That, to me, summarizes the Canon/Nikon folks...

But, I just own a Pentax, so what do I know???:blah::?:-):blah:

Damn, I do enjoy those emoticons...:-)
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 8:20 AM   #15

Interesting, I own a Pentax *istDL, it has the following features:

1) A penta mirror viewfinder which still has higher magnification than any entry level camera.
2) Interchangeable focus screens (although Pentax does not advertise this fact the screens are the same as the *istDS, and change in the same way)
3) A depth of field preview.
4) Compatability with all K-mount lenses (a few aftermarket models designed for Ricoh excepted), withcentre weightedmetering capabilities (unlike the no-metering offered by the Nikon D50 for any pre AF lens).
5) Compatability with all 42mm screw mount lenses with a simple adapter (be sure to buy the Pentax adapter), again with full metering, albiet in stop down mode.
6) One button exposure setting with early lenses.
7) Flexible power options that include AA alkaline (for a few shots in an emergency), Lithium batteries (expensive butwith a very long shelf life they are great to have as backup set in your camera bag), and of course cheap AA NiMH which may not have the capacity of Li-ion but are available everywhere for less than $15 per set.
8 )ISO 3200 without any special settings in an entry level camera.
9) One of the lightest but easiest to hold body designs with a stainless steel inner chassis.
10) Currently the lowest priced DSLR, including a well built and optically competitive 18-55mm lens.

All this and some of the best lenses out there. Yes I know that there are things that other cameras do better, if they were all alike it would be pointless wouldn't it, but as an all around value the Pentax is hard to beat. Most entry level DSLRs do not have many of the features I have listed.

Ira
Old May 28, 2006, 8:54 AM   #16

I remember reading a while back about lenses used to take photos of plays and whatnot, and I was wondering what the best (affordable) lens would be. I'm assuming its a prime lens! I do a lot of theatre down here at uni and the theatres vary from a really small intimate space to a semi-traditional stage-end theatre so I'd need a lens that would suit that both. Ideally I'd like two, but my bank doesn't agree with that...

So any suggestions?

Cheers!

And I love the crummy photos! :-)
Patang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 9:19 AM   #17

The best would be any of the Pentax 50 mm f1.4. The are optically the same. With the SMC-A you get all but auto-focus, with the SMC-F or SMC-FA you get even that. I've got the FA, and it's not lagging behind my much more expensive SMC-A* 85 mm.

Sample, no natural light, no flash, shot @ f3,5.

Kjell
Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 9:39 AM   #18

I have done some theatre shots with very modest lenses and a monopod. I just underexpose by 0.7 to 2.0 stops and use the monopod to help steady the lens. The examples are here along with the technical info http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

When these pictures were shot I had no lenses faster than f3.5 at the wide end and most of these were shot at about f5.6 at ISO 1600. I guess my point is that a very fast prime lens or an f2.8 70-200mm range zoomlens is preferred but you can get some very nice results from cheapies.

BTW I did not have the 24-135mm Sigma f2.8-4.5 lens when I did these, but it is still fairly slow at the long end.

I would think an f1.7 or 1.4 50mm would work well in a small theatre while an f2.8 short telephoto (something from 80mm up to about 135mm) would work well in larger venues.

Ira

Old May 29, 2006, 8:45 AM   #19

Thanks for that guys!

I had to some shots tonight, but my DS is still in the shop being repaired. Curses at you camera god!

So anyway, none of my friends have any sort of DSLR, but one of them has a father who had a finepix 5500 which I used. It wasn't too bad if I used it on the manual settings, but I couldn't find a manual focus ring on it as I'm not used to the camera so had to make do with auto in low light.

I don't have any pics to show now cos the camera ran out of battery too!

I wish my DS was back... :sad:
Patang is offline   Reply With Quote