Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 26, 2006, 1:12 PM   #11

Gee guys, I don't have all the fancy lenses yet. I've been fighting off LBA, successfully so far. For the last two months I have kept an old screw mount 28mm Super Takumar on the camera. Since I take mostly wildflower pictures, this works out really well. I keep a #3 close-up lens on it and I can get very close shots with this setup. Take off the close-up lens and I have a very nice wide angle setup.

I am saving for a FA50mm f1.4 before the rebate goes off. I'm sure that would be one fine prime setup for my flowers. I would like a macro 100mm, but they are just a little to much for me. I can tell you the 18-55mm kit lens is setting in my closet. It is just not as sharp as the old takumar and with flowers, detail is what its all about. For a walk around lens, I think the 18-55mm is fine though, it just can't produce the fine detail the 28mm canon close-ups - Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 1:56 PM   #12

I seem to have the new 50-200mm lens on my DS quite a bit of the time. If I want to shoot macros, I use a Tokina 28-70mm f2.8 manual focus lens with the macro setting.

I also use my old 50mm f1.4 and f1.7 manual lenses quite often.
Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 5:21 PM   #13

Hi Ira

Guess I am Lazy to. While i have Tryed my M-lenses and i also have a few good ones. I rarely use them.
So back to the question at hand. My everyday Lense is The Pentax FA 28-105 F3.2-4.5. I rarely use the kit Lense. I use my FA50 F1.4 for inside work and My Sigma 70-300 For when i Need the reach.

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 10:34 PM   #14

Thanks for the responses folks.

Phil, the 28-105mm must be nice, and I would think a lot more compact and lightweight than the Sigma monster I use.

Daniel, relax, you can't have Tom's 300mm, get over it, I have (sort of).

Tom, do you have a problem cleaning drool from your FA* 300mm (don't let Daniel near it, or myself for that matter), if you do Roy has a great cure here: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

Bruce, yourfascination with flower photography creates a whole different set of lens requirements, I can see why the older fast lenses are to your liking.

Rickst, I keep hearing good things about the DA 50-200mm ( I assume that is the lens you are talking about).

rritter, the 18-125mm Sigma certainly does have a very useful range, combined with the 28-300mm you have all the focal lengths that I can cover but with only two lenses instead of three. (yes I still have the 500mm mirror lens but use it very rarely, it now has the Minolta mount attached and sits on my sons Maxxum 5000.)

I am sorry if I have missed anyone, it is midnight here and I am suffering from the Friday crash. I find myself really favouring the 24-135mm because it is the fastest zoom I have, has the greatest zoom range, and works right through the "normal" focal lengths I use most often. I also like the fact that I can now load this combination into a little Optex zoom-holster bag, toss in some extra batteries and memory, and that is all I need for most shooting. I expect to shoot an entire wedding without ever having to change lenses (except possibly for dramatic effect)

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 6:34 AM   #15

I have three lenses I can't stop using and usually use all three on a shoot. My other lenses get used occasionally

Sigma 28-70mm EX f2.8
Tokina RMC 80-200 f4.5 macro
Takumar 300mm F4 M42

The Sigma is my ready ready lens, on the camera ALL the time. Fast, auto focus 72mm filter thread.

The Tokina is my midnight special, small and sharp sharp sharp amazingly sharp at night, great one touch zoom/focus, anything after 30 feet just set to maximum focus and it is in focus from 30ft to infinity, I never get an out of focus shot with it and it is small with a 52mm filter thread.

The Takumar 300mm is my big gun cannon with 82mm filter, it is big and black and well I just love the images it makes, beautiful colour and sharp like ALL Takumars made in 1959, thats right boys and girls it is older than me, just...:lol:
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 9:34 AM   #16

Crashman, I would like an f2.8 standard zoom as well (along with a 70-200mm f2.8) but these are still out of my budget range. I have bene getting more paying jobs in photography lately so I may yet save enough for on of the fast Sigmas (the Pentax 28-70mm f2.8 is only available used at prices that are higher than the Sigma is new. I love the SMC glass but I am very impressed with my 24-135mm Sigma and would not hesitate to purchase one of their EX lenses)

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 10:05 AM   #17

wow, you guys are into it!! i as yet only have 2 lenses, the kit 18-55 and the sigma 70-300. i like them both. the kit lens i find easier to use (a little smoother) and i really like the wide end; i wouldn't have been satisfied with a lens that only went down to 24mm or 28mm, but the sigma stays on all the time while i'm at work or driving in case of wildlife, etc.

one of the cons in going with a dslr is the need for more than one lens. my plan was to limit my collection to two lenses that would cover the range i wanted. riiiiiiiight! the updated plan is to eventually get one more, an older M or A 50mm or 100mm macro that will give me more magnification than the sigma with the same extension (macro focussing only at 300mm) and maybe a little more sharpness. i just snapped up a 50mm pentax extension tube on e-bayto add to the set of 3 i already have. maybe i'll find a 500mm lens cheap.........this is what i wanted to avoid! aaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!

have a great day all, eric
ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 11:25 AM   #18

Ira,

I have this lens and it is very fast to focus, very fast.

Sigma AF 24mm f1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Lens for Pentax

http://www.centre.net.au/index.html?...amp;it=product

Not that expensive either..
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 11:34 AM   #19

i've been trying to think of an answer for this but i'm at a loss.. the lens i like the best is the one i'm using for the type of image i'm trying to capture.. there is no one lens that stays on the cam longer than another..

roy
Old May 29, 2006, 11:18 PM   #20

I keep the DA50-200 on the camera for the most part. I've been carrying the kit lens but think I'll start leaving it home. I can use the 24mm 2.8 (K-mount) when I want something wider than 50 and I've been using the 50 f1.7 andthe extension tube (former 2x teleconverter) for macro. I'm not unhappy with the kit lens, it's just that the 24mm 2.8 is faster and lighter. I don't mind the manual focus, though now that I'm using the DA mostly I forget to stop down the shutter.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote