Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 28, 2006, 10:45 PM   #1

Alright, anybody have a clue when this new camera will hit the market?

I'm looking at buying a pentax digital SLR here in the next month or so.... and now this announcement. I think the features would be worth the extra $100.

Of course, what happens if they drop the prices on the DL/DS's? Hmmmm.

Is there a good summary somewhere of what differences there are in the DL,DL2, DS, & DS2 ... I can find DL's for an acceptable price... but is there a real good reason to buy a DS over a DL or a DS2 over a DS, or a DL2 over a DL? Inquiring minds and all.

It sounds like the K100D will be a very, very nice camera for $700. I just gotta wonder, will it get here before I am ready to buy?

-P
philmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2006, 11:00 PM   #2

Hi Philmon:

Like you I was in the market for my first DSLR. When I thought I was ready to commit to what I liked ,I would always read that new cameras are on the horizon with perhaps better features than the camera I had chosen.In the end I chose the Pentax ist DL2.I'm sure you will make the right decision in the end all I'm saying is one can't wait forever as there will always be new innovations.The new Pentax cameras are supposed to hit the market in August

Ross
quartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 12:24 AM   #3

Ross:

Yeah, I know. If it's coming out in, say, June -- I'd be inclined to wait.

If it's coming out in August, probably not.

So can I ask what made you pick the DL2 over the DL, or one of the DS's? Was there something in particular, or was it opportunity and timing?

Thanks,

-P
philmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 8:19 AM   #4

Hi Philmon:

The difference between the ist DL and the DL2 are not drastic but there is a difference.The DL2 has 5 spot focusing points instead of 3 for the DL, and a few more scene modes.I never looked at the DS models.One note about the Pentax DSLR (EVERYBODY WAS SAYING THAT THE AUTO FOCUS IS SLOW )In my opinion not so.In the end if I wanted to buy one of the other contenders in my list with two lenses I would have payed $400 Canadian dollars more ,so part of the reason for my choice is price.

Ross

quartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 8:48 AM   #5

I have a DL, I don't need the extra focus points since I always set for centre spot focus anyway. I don't need the scene modes, I don't use them.

Would I wait, if it is coming in June I would say yes, anti-shake is a great addition. Would I wait until August, probably not.

As for Pentax pricing,a charger andthree sets of NiMH batteries cost me the same amount as one spare battery for the D50 locally,so that has to be factored in as well.

Ira

"sey", dyslexia this late in life!!
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 8:52 AM   #6

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
I have a DL, I don't need the extra focus points since I always set for centre spot focus anyway. I don't need the scene modes, I don't use them.

Would I wait, if it is coming in June I would say sey, anti-shake is a great addition. Would I wait until August, probably not.

As for Pentax pricing,a charger andthree sets of NiMH batteries cost me the same amount as one spare battery for the D50 locally,so that has to be factored in as well.

Ira
DITTO!!! but i've the DS
Old May 30, 2006, 11:03 AM   #7

Just bought the DL for $464, I figured the new ones would be at list for awhile and I was saving between 130 to 230 and I get the camera now. Shipped this morning.
Joliet Jim is offline   Reply With Quote