Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 31, 2006, 5:13 AM   #1

Years ago my wife used to shoot nature shotson filmusing a Chinon slr with nice big Tokina APO K-mount all manual lense (70-200mm) .I wanted to surprise her with a new Pentax DSLR, and went tosee a dealer. Imagine my disappointment when the guy told me it was impossible tocombineist DL or DL2 with these old (only 20 years) manual bayonet lenses (camera will not even activate according to him).

So what's the truth here, do we need to throw a $2000 APO zoom in the trash?

soundbyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2006, 7:21 AM   #2

Welcome to the list. I've just joined myself and have an old Soligor lens that I've been able to use with my DL. You need to buy an adapter to use the screw mount lens (about $20). There have been a couple of discussion items on this issue recently that you might find interesting. There are many others on the list much more knowledgeable than I am who may have specific experience with your particular lens (more specifically the exact thread size), but from the little I've read I don't see why it could not be adapted to a digital Pentax body.

Good luck, Mike
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 8:34 AM   #3

I use old K mount, manual lenses all the time on my *ist DS. From another web site, here's what you do:

I seem to remember you might have M series lenses, so you have to be in manual mode, but first you have to change custom settings (which can remain this way even if you go back to auto-focus) as follows:

Press "MENU" button
Press right arrow to "C Custom Setting"
Press down arrow a few times to "Using aperture ring"
Press left arrow to enable option selections
Press down arrow from "1 Prohibited" to "2 Permitted"
Press "OK" button twice

You're ready to go.

You will focus with a wide open aperture, no matter what setting you have set on the ring on the lens. After focus, press the "AE-L" button. This will step down your aperture and read take a meter reading. Re-adjust your aperture or shutter speed and snap away.

It's easier than it sounds, so don't think it is too complicated for you.
Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 9:12 AM   #4

The dealer doesn't know what he is talking about or he is trying to talk you into some other brand than Pentax, since the Tokina will work just fine on all D series DSLR's. Here is a photo with a 35 year old Pentax screw mount lens that I bought new in 1969 and as you can see it worked out very nicely.

Tom

soundbyer wrote:
Quote:
Years ago my wife used to shoot nature shotson filmusing a Chinon slr with nice big Tokina APO K-mount all manual lense (70-200mm) .I wanted to surprise her with a new Pentax DSLR, and went tosee a dealer. Imagine my disappointment when the guy told me it was impossible tocombineist DL or DL2 with these old (only 20 years) manual bayonet lenses (camera will not even activate according to him).

So what's the truth here, do we need to throw a $2000 APO zoom in the trash?

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 11:30 AM   #5

Your dealer is either a con-man or is just ignorant of camera technology, neither of which, given his vocation, is acceptable. You regularly see this at discount electronics stores (which often has one sales person take care of everything from Music CDs to household appliances to colour TVs) but any camera store should have better informed staff. Personally I couldn't work in a store selling a product that I knew so little about.

Get the Pentax and enjoy the great old lens.

Ira

BTW the dealer would have been right about every other brand, even Nikon has very little compatability between its entry level models and its older lenses.

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 12:30 PM   #6

Hi

That salesman should find another job!!!!

I am using old K-mount and M42 lenses from when I used my K1000 (still got it, but don't use it anymore).

OK so you have to go manual,and all that expertise you acquired using your old camera comes into play again. Great fun.

Bob
furball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 4:28 PM   #7

does this guy have an email address?? or maybe the store?? we could enlighten him.

roy
Old May 31, 2006, 8:50 PM   #8

Thanks to everyone who replied. By the way, this was a camera chain here in Sydney Australia (I will not name), kind of like the US Wolf/Ritz Camera chain, very nice show room with a "pro" desk (only selling high end Canon/Nikon) and an "amature" desk (selling Pentax and low end Canon/Nikon)

So now its time to find another shop with a knowledgeable salesperson who will demonstrate the Pentax working in front of me with my lense.

I will tellher to go into Menu/Custom Settings/Using aperture ring/permitted (thanks Rickst). After this, and from reading other forum threads, it seems you have to focus with wide open aperture, then half press the shutter to get metering, then lock exposure (AE-L), then shoot, and then try to remember to unlock exposure afterwards - have I got it right? In my case is there any reason to favor DL2 over DL or DS, or even wait for this new KXXX beast?

Also I was just wondering, doesn't the old manual lense short out all those nice electronic contacts on the front of the camera mount, and hence annoy the camera internals ??? This is how I had rationalised the dealer's (bogus) advice.

soundbyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 10:42 PM   #9

Using K-mountmanual lenses will not do anything to your electronics, and the owners manual tells you how to use them.

Half pressing the shutter will show you whether you have it in focus or not (the green light comes on when the camera thinks you are in-focus, but can't focus for you), but the AE-L button is what temporarily stops down the lens and sets the shutter speed. The lens will stop down again when you take the picture and open up immediately - you don't have to unlock the exposure. However, until you press the AE-L button again the shutter speed stays the same (can't tell you how often I take a picture of something that's dark, then overexpose the next picture because I forget to meter again). I think I always half-press first because I usually focus first, then meter last. Knowing me (always doing things backwards), it's probably better to meter first then focus. Does that make some sense?

While I really like the DA 50-200 lens, I have more K-mount manual lenses than anything else, and use them regularly.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 12:23 AM   #10

Which store was it? Just so I know not to go there!
Patang is offline   Reply With Quote