Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 31, 2006, 9:24 PM   #1

Lately got a few pict I need to post. Unfortunately, no matter how low I set, (quality 0 & low) the resultant size is still over 250K. I believe there is other software doing that. And I do not want to resize it twice. Is there another method?

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2006, 9:42 PM   #2

what proggy are you using?
try www.irfanview.com
works great and is free.

roy
Old May 31, 2006, 11:14 PM   #3

Are you talking about resizing for postinghere? Are youalso changing how many pixels across/down the file is? With PS (and I've done the same thing with PS3, PS4, PS6 and now CS2) I re-size the picture - image, image size -(or crop if that's what I'm doing), then save-as and choose a medium compression rate. If I'm posting here, I resize to 700 pixels across. Then I compress it. It seems to work reasonably well.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 11:29 PM   #4

With a 6Mp image you should be able to save at quality 5 and stay below 250k. I'm assuming PS6 is Photoshop 6. Baseline Optimized gives the smallest file but not by a lot.

Unless you have special reasons to post a full sized image you should reduce it first. Go Image > Image Size. Check to resample with bicubic and constrain proportions. The width in pixels should be highlighted. Just type in 700 and the height should also change. OK. Now when you "Save as" a JPG you can use almost any quality you want. Quality 8 works well.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 5:54 AM   #5

DCE AutoEnhance is a stand-alone batch processor available from http://www.mediachance.com/dce/index.htmlwhich allows you to set the final size both physical & in bytes. You don't have to use it to enhance your images which is it's prime function.

Using the Lanczos 3 setting to resize refers produces better images than when using Bicubic etc.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 6:15 AM   #6

sorry, didn't read the title good enough. when you save with PS as a jpg,after you hit save another window will open. in that window at the bottom will be the file size you will get when you save the file at the compression ratio you choose. you do need to change the original images size tho before you save. i usually change it from 3008x20006 to 792 wide.. 72X11=792.. depends also if you are using an image that you have converted from raw. are you shooting in raw???

roy
Old Jun 1, 2006, 6:31 AM   #7

slipe wrote:
Quote:
With a 6Mp image you should be able to save at quality 5 and stay below 250k. I'm assuming PS6 is Photoshop 6. Baseline Optimized gives the smallest file but not by a lot.

OK. Now when you "Save as" a JPG you can use almost any quality you want. Quality 8 works well.
I should have said I just wanted to reduce the byte size to under 250K. Even with quality set to ' 0 & low'. After reading all the above, it seems that there is no way to keep full sized image and under 250K.
Thanks you guys' input.

Daniel
Old Jun 1, 2006, 6:38 AM   #8

robar wrote:
Quote:
sorry, didn't read the title good enough. when you save with PS as a jpg,after you hit save another window will open. in that window at the bottom will be the file size you will get when you save the file at the compression ratio you choose. you do need to change the original images size tho before you save. i usually change it from 3008x20006 to 792 wide.. 72X11=792.. depends also if you are using an image that you have converted from raw. are you shooting in raw???

roy
Majority of my pict are in jpq. If I shoot in raw , I still have to convert that to jpg with Pentax software and reduce the byte count for uploading. I guess some pict have to be resized down from 3000x2000 first before copying with lower byte count.
A pbase account will be handy definitely.

Daniel
Old Jun 1, 2006, 9:45 AM   #9

I started a similar thread a few days ago:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

Ira sugggested Windows Power Toys ... I found that works great. Right click on the image, choose Resize Pictures, and sellect the size you want. this assumes you are using Windows of course with PS6.

Cheers,
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 8:19 AM   #10

Thanks. The power toy is really not bad at all. Here is the resized (best setting) of a pict.

And pl compare and comment on the resolution with another jpg of just a full 3000x2000

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/a...t.php?id=60973

mgedit wrote:
Quote:
I started a similar thread a few days ago:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

Ira sugggested Windows Power Toys ... I found that works great. Right click on the image, choose Resize Pictures, and sellect the size you want. this assumes you are using Windows of course with PS6.

Cheers,
Attached Images