Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 1, 2006, 12:07 AM   #1

Friday I got off before my husband did, so I wandered around taking pictures near where I work. I'd really like to know what you think of them. They were all taken with the DA50-200 lens and the more I use it, the better I like it.

These pictures are not my normal thing (usually stick to flowers and landscapes), but I was more pleased with these than I have with other architectural pictures I've taken. Also, now that I have them loaded up on photobucket (and I'm looking at them on the laptop's monitor, not my big one), it seems like they are far more washed out than they appeared when I was looking at them in Photoshop. Let me know if you think they are too light.

This is a detail of a building that was built in 1927 - an old building by California standards. And yes, I did adjust the vertical lines in photoshop (thought it came out rather well that way).

This one is a detail of another building built at the same time. It's a library and I have no idea what (if any) these mean, but I thought they were interesting to see near the front door. I wonder how many people enter this building every day and never notice them (they are over 7 feet above ground, I think). I left the lines alone, thinking that the funny angle I was standing at didn't detract as much as the first picture.

Then I wandered up to a sculpture garden. I decided that I'm not much of an artist, most of the sculptures left me cold. I noticed that I wasn't the only one who didn't think much of this one - the fellow in this picture (who was not talking on a phone) wasn't contemplating this one. This shows how grey of a day it really was, and the picture is over-exposed. I dont' think with the dark sculpture I could do anything else without having it in sillouette.

Finally, as I was going back to the car, I saw these kids fooling around with a big bear. This might not be an artistic sculpture, but these kids were certainly enjoying it.

The last 2 I thought were cute because of their content, not that they were very good as pictures (in some ways these two belong in the "almost" category).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2006, 7:12 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I like the composition of the first image..an interesting combination of horizontals (brinck), verticals (columns),diagonals (in the window), and arches! Nice!

J
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:09 PM   #3

I'm not much on archeticture or sculptures either ... I do appreciate the craftsmanship though. But the pic with guy would have been hilarious if the positioning would have been reversed ... the guy on the left & the sculpture on the right ... like he was sitting there, scratching his head, thinking, "What the hell is that???":G

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 12:56 PM   #4

wadue wrote:
Quote:
But the pic with guy would have been hilarious if the positioning would have been reversed ... the guy on the left & the sculpture on the right ... like he was sitting there, scratching his head, thinking, "What the heck is that???":G

Ron
LOL! That would have been a good picture. The other one I thought about posting was part of a sculpture and two women sitting on the raised platform with their backs to it, eating their lunch. Guess I'm not the only one who can't quite appreciate this type of art. I'm starting to appreciate architectural details more and it's showing some in my pictures, though I'm still not there yet.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote