Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 1, 2006, 1:55 PM   #1

Took these today in the wind with the Tamron 90. The Indian Paintbrush is up and the butterflys are back.

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2006, 4:14 PM   #2

nice shots tom especially in wind. i know how hard it is as it's always windy here..

roy
Old Jun 1, 2006, 7:12 PM   #3

I found this tiny Black swallowtail on the Indian Paintbrush, which you can see from the size of the flower is much smaller than the other two. Normally the Black swallowtails around here are the same size as the Tiger swallowtails, or it may be a different variety.

Tom
Old Jun 2, 2006, 12:45 PM   #4

Shot this one with the 85mm 1.4 Pentax lens.

Old Jun 2, 2006, 12:48 PM   #5

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Shot this one with the 85mm 1.4 Pentax lens.
Do you like that lens?:love:

Nice shots, all of them!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 2:45 PM   #6

I love the A* 85 1.4, it is sharp, not that large and it is a mechanical marvel, which just looks and feels like the highest quality lens you have ever used. That said, it has the DOF the thickness of a toothpick wide open, but I can work around that.

Tom
Old Jun 4, 2006, 3:12 PM   #7

Beautiful shots. Shooting long-stemmed flowers with wild creatures with minds of their own on top of them on a windy days is a tough combination. Where did you shoot these. Here in southwest Missouri, the purple coneflowers and butterfly weed are up and looking beautiful.One quick thing, I don't know what those flowers are, but I don't think they are indian paintbrush. I'd love to know what they are, but this is indian paintbrush. It's a little past the peak of indian paintbrush season here. I shot this with the istDL and a Promaster 70-300 macro zoom.
Attached Images

jhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 5:34 PM   #8

The Indian Paintbrush (Orange Hawkweed) comes up every spring in my front yard and attracts many butterflies and I put off mowing the yard for as long as I could to get the photos. Finally my other half demanded the yard be mowed (one acre of which was flowers) and since we were leaving for vacation the next day I finally did it.

I am now on the road, so new things will possibly be in the future for my photography, we shall see.

Tom
Old Jun 4, 2006, 5:35 PM   #9

Indian Paintbrush is what the local Native Americans here call the plant, which is all I know.

Tom
Old Jun 4, 2006, 7:50 PM   #10

tom,
jhacker's pic is what we call indian paintbrush here in tx as well. we got VERY FEW wild flowers here this year because of the drought.. our hi-ways are usually covered in bluebonnets in march and april and i saw very few this year.

roy