Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:06 PM   #1

I have had my DL for about two months now and I fine the Auto Exposure Lock doesn't work as expected. Even with the AE-L engaged I still get changes in the exposure. This is especially true when using the flash. Any body had similar problems? If so have you been able to correct them and how? I did change the AE with AF lock feature in Custom settings with no change in my results.
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2006, 2:55 AM   #2

It depends on how you are using it.

I use mine two ways.

1. With manual lens using stop down metering to allow me to set the shutter speed.

2. When I want to purposely under or over expose a shot, I will point to the area I want to register as my light and hit the AE-L button then recompose and finish the shot.

I find that if I don't take the shot in a reasonable time or play with the other controls it will lose the lock.
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 4:08 AM   #3

So when using a manual lens such as a 50mm f/1.7 prime and you want to set the aperture, do you change it on the camera in the M settings, or do you do it on the actual lens itself?

I'm confused about this!!
Patang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 6:00 AM   #4

I believe that the problems comes about when you refocus i.e. having obtained the correct focus and exposure for one shot, then compose another and pressing the shutter half way again causes it to re-focus & renew exposure.

I use AE Lock when taking several shots in a panoramic sweep for stitching together afterwards - obviously exposure lock is important to enable adjacent shots to blend together.

I have 'sort of' resolved the problem with my *istDS by focusing & AE Lock on the first shot, then switching over to manual focus to complete the sequence.

However, inexplicably there are still instances when even that fails when the last shot will assume a different exposure.

So, it's still a bit of a mystery to me as well.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 8:47 AM   #5

So this is something we deal with, one small flaw in an otherwise great camera. I would bet some of the people posting about under exposed shots are actually having problems with how the camera is adjusting the automatic exposure.
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 11:43 AM   #6

When I use it for Panoramas I usually set the camera to M and the lens to f/8 or so, then the AE-L meters only once and will keep that setting as long as you don't press the button again.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 12:27 PM   #7

Thanks for the tip, I've quickly tried it & it looks like it should do the business - I've just got to remember how to set the aperture.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 1:45 PM   #8

I'm a bit confused about what you are asking about, but part of my problem is due to the fact that I avoid using flash - never got the hang of getting good results with it. So I can't address that portion of your concerns.

As far as using the AE-L button, as I understand it, it primarily controls shutter speed (though I suppose it also affects aperture with fully automatic lenses like the DA lenses I have). With manual lenses, and using the M setting, you set the aperture on the lens, then push the AE-L button to stop down the lens so the camera can meter and set the appropriate shutter speed.

With the DA lenses, I've used the AE-L lock button sometimes when I'm shooting something dark and want to leave it in silouette, or if I'm taking sunsets and want to underexpose a bit so the colors don't wash out as much. Then I point the camera at what I want to meter from, push the AE-L button and see the star freezing the exposure. As long as I don't take too much time, that shutter speed and aperture settings are what the camera shoots at. If I half-press the shutter and then release, it releases the lock and will re-meter.

However, you brought up the point of setting the menu to have the camera lock exposure when the focus is locked (at half shutter). In that case, the aperture and shutter speed is locked when you lock the focus. If you then push the AE-L button, wouldn't it unlock the exposure? The button works like a toggle switch - push it once, the shutter speed and aperture are locked, push it again and it unlocks.

I've been very pleased with the exposure/metering of this camera - I find it is more right-on than the ZX-M was (I found that camera was easy to fool and got frustrated by my inability to figure out how to deal with it).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 10:13 AM   #9

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

The AE-L feature on both my DL as well as my film MX-Z work well. However, I use spot metering as my default exposure mode which I think allows a the camera to home in on the light conditions and then "lock" it. If you are not presently using spot metering, see if switching to it gives you better results.

J
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 10:49 PM   #10

hi, don't have my manual in hand but check it out, i think the exposure lock has a duration of twice the "meter operating time" (which i think is how long the info on the screen stays up). hit menu, go over to custom setting, down to meter operating time and set it for the longest which is 30 seconds. i had a similar problem at first til i figured that out.

hope that helps, eric
ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote