Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 4, 2006, 6:50 PM   #21

Very nice! I've noticed that both of my 50mm lenses are a bit soft wide open and the DOF is very small, but haven't noticed that they can't focus to infinity.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 2:22 AM   #22

nadnerb, that is a very great picture and she is very beautyful.
:?

I am about to buy another lense for my Pentax DS and I have a question for you since you have that lense or anyone else who can answer it.

Since I never really use a fully manual lense, one without the AF, I am afraid that the pictures will come out of focus when I try to use it. I wear glass and sometimes it is kinda hard to see if the pictures are focus or not. Like what you said, the picture may look focus on the viewfinder but comes out kinda blurry on the computer.

I know with my current stock lense and my other Sigma AF lense when I switch it to manual, when I start to focus manually, it will kinda help me by blinking a red dot when it becomes focus. Will the smcp-a or smcp-m lense do that too?
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 8:37 AM   #23

I believe that the 'focus assist' indicator does work with the manual lenses. I just wish the DSLR's had the split-image viewfinder like the old SLR's. Focusing is incredibly easy with that feature. I've never used an autofocus SLR until my DL and never minded manually focusing those cameras. You might also need to adjust the diopter in the fiewfinder to compensate for your vision. Good luck!

David

superakuma wrote:
Quote:
nadnerb, that is a very great picture and she is very beautyful.
:?

I am about to buy another lense for my Pentax DS and I have a question for you since you have that lense or anyone else who can answer it.

Since I never really use a fully manual lense, one without the AF, I am afraid that the pictures will come out of focus when I try to use it. I wear glass and sometimes it is kinda hard to see if the pictures are focus or not. Like what you said, the picture may look focus on the viewfinder but comes out kinda blurry on the computer.

I know with my current stock lense and my other Sigma AF lense when I switch it to manual, when I start to focus manually, it will kinda help me by blinking a red dot when it becomes focus. Will the smcp-a or smcp-m lense do that too?
David_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 10:16 AM   #24

The focus indicator (the red blip) works in all modes with all lenses. But it doesn't work if the largest aperture is too small. This is a problem for me only when I use a lens with max aperture 5.6 with a 2X teleconverter. But nevertheless I agree that a split image screen would have been nice.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 12:07 PM   #25

David_NC wrote:
Quote:
I believe that the 'focus assist' indicator does work with the manual lenses. I just wish the DSLR's had the split-image viewfinder like the old SLR's. Focusing is incredibly easy with that feature. I've never used an autofocus SLR until my DL and never minded manually focusing those cameras. You might also need to adjust the diopter in the fiewfinder to compensate for your vision. Good luck!

David

I have seen several references now to "split image viewfinders" in old SLR cameras. Never having had one, I am curious as to how they worked. Is there a technological reason why they could not work with a Dslr or are they too expensive or something else?

Thanks,

NonEntity
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 5:11 PM   #26

NonEntity: they do work in dSLR, they just may cause some minor metering problems. you can even buy one of those and install it yourself. check this thread http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...ENTAX+DL+SPLIT
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 6:10 PM   #27

Thanks for the links gfurm. After reading them I guess I am still confused over what exactly they do (maybe "what the user sees" would be more accurate). I am picturing perhaps seeing twin images in the view finder and you make adjustment until they merge and that is how you know you are in focus?

Thank you,

NonEntity
Old Aug 11, 2006, 10:00 PM   #28

My old ME's split screen had a line in the middle of a circle. You would take an object (something with a straight line was easiest to see) and put the middle line so that it intersected the object. If the lens was not in focus, the line wouldn't be straight - there would be a jog in it (one side would be higher than the other). If both sides of the object's line was perfectly straight, the lens was in focus.

Here's sort-of a mock-up of what I mean (something from photoshop to simulate what it looks like, sort-of).
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 3:37 AM   #29

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
My old ME's split screen had a line in the middle of a circle. You would take an object (something with a straight line was easiest to see) and put the middle line so that it intersected the object. If the lens was not in focus, the line wouldn't be straight - there would be a jog in it (one side would be higher than the other). If both sides of the object's line was perfectly straight, the lens was in focus.

Here's sort-of a mock-up of what I mean (something from photoshop to simulate what it looks like, sort-of).
Ah, I get it now! Thank you mtngal for the illustration. I can see where that would be a useful feature.

Thanks,

NonEntity