Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 4, 2006, 9:12 AM   #1

i am looking at buying a flash for my DL.

should i get the pentax AF360FGZ?

how about an after market one like a sigma, vivitar, sunpak, etc or should i stick with the pentax brand? thanks for your help.
lgbalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2006, 10:33 AM   #2

i think it's the sigma 500 super...
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/flashes/fl...ls.asp?id=3257
this one is about 225usd and provides high speed sync. it's definately on my list.

it's little brother is about 130usd and is still a great flash but no high speed sync.
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/flashes/fl...mp;navigator=1

roy
Old Jun 4, 2006, 10:42 AM   #3

What is the advantage of a high speed sync?
TravisG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 3:33 PM   #4

TravisG5 wrote:
Quote:
The fastest shutter speed that the DL flashwill synch with is 1/180. Sometimes you need flash at faster speeds such as using fill flash outdoors. I bought the Sigma flash that Robar linked to and I am amazed at the results. I recently used it a wedding and got a lot of shots that never would have happened with the on-board flash. The best price I found was at Sigma4less.
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 6:53 PM   #5

Rufus T Firefly wrote:
Quote:
TravisG5 wrote:
Quote:
The fastest shutter speed that the DL flashwill synch with is 1/180. Sometimes you need flash at faster speeds such as using fill flash outdoors. I bought the Sigma flash that Robar linked to and I am amazed at the results. I recently used it a wedding and got a lot of shots that never would have happened with the on-board flash. The best price I found was at Sigma4less.
rufus,
i want the super's HSS for macros. can you shot a few say at 1/500+, f16-32?? subject matter is immaterial. i just want to see if it'll work at the macro level.

roy
Old Jun 5, 2006, 6:11 AM   #6

Hey guys,

I'm also in the market for an external flash (for my neice's wedding). I've been looking at the Sigma, which was also suggested here, but then I noticed the "off brand" (Digital Concepts, I beleive is what I saw on Ebay). I just was wondering if it's a case of "you get what you pay for" because the "ob" was almost half of $ of the Sigma.

Also, could someone recommend a decent bar to use with the camera & flash???

Thanks for all suggestions!!!

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 7:29 AM   #7

I use a promaster FTD 7000M and it really isnt that bad. I got it second hand off ebay and it works great on my DS.
Patang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 10:52 AM   #8

Ya might want to check out the link below. I have the Sigma 500 and it works great with my DS. JH

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 5:17 PM   #9

3rd party flashes???? if you have the DL, DL2 then you are going to have to have a flash that will work in P-TTL or you will have to use the flash in manual mode.. as far as i know there are only 3 makers that support P-TTL and they are pentax, sigma, and metz.. those of us withe D or DS are fortunate to be able to use flashes that will support just TTL and there are a lot of them out there.. please remember this..

roy
Old Jun 5, 2006, 8:22 PM   #10

robar wrote:
Quote:
rufus,
i want the super's HSS for macros. can you shot a few say at 1/500+, f16-32?? subject matter is immaterial. i just want to see if it'll work at the macro level.

roy
Hi Robar, sorry for not getting back sooner. Unfortunately I don't have a macro lens at the moment. I currently have the 18-55 kit lens, FA 80-200 4.7, and an old 50mm prime. I have yet to find my old macro lens (28mm I think)from the late 70's. I assume I would also need something to get the flash off of the camera unless it's a lens with long reach. If you have any thoughts on it let me know.
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote