Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 4, 2006, 2:41 PM   #1

Just thought I'd share some pics of a cable release I put together for my DL. It works like a charm for normal and for bulb shots. Please no comments on the quality of the pics I posted. Also I know that I need to solder my connections. This was simply a prototype I threw together for $15. Who knows, having an interesting cable release may loosen people up on the street so they would be willing to pose for a picture or two. Minty fresh breath left from the case wouldn't hurt either.

Attached Images

jerkules is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2006, 2:41 PM   #2

The guts
Attached Images

Old Jun 4, 2006, 6:57 PM   #3

nice remote. this has been done by a number of us here. think mine cost about $3. how about posting the pin connections again for others to see.. it's a cool DIY project.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 6:47 AM   #4

I was thinking on making myown, is there a wiring diagram somewhere I canrefer to ? Or maybe a closer shot of the wiring and pin connection would also do the trick.

thanks,

Rick
Mourrri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 7:30 AM   #5

i'm also thinking o making my own but am fairly ignorant of wiring. a closer view would help me also. again pardon my ignorance; what's the top silver switch for? i'm guessing to lock the shutter open on bulb?? also guessing i need 3 strands in the wire??

thanks, eric
ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:05 AM   #6

I'll try to put together a wiring diagram tonight. They're not my specialty but I'll throw something together. The toggle is for bulb mode but you could also use a rocker switch. It's much easier to drill a hole for a round toggle.

I bought a 3.5mm audio extension cable and clipped one end off. After you strip away some of the outside insulation you'll find a red, a black and an exposed silver wire. The silver wire (the common) needs to be connected to one terminal on each each of the three switches. The black wire (the focus button) should go to the other terminal on the black momentary switch. The red wire needs to go to the other terminal on the toggle and the red switch. I connected it to the toggle and used the yellow wireto connect the toggle to to the red momentary switch (I would have used red wire but I didn't have enough to make the connection).

BTW, I plan to attach a waterproof case inside the lid of the altoidstin so I have a place to store my extra memory cards. I don't think I'll have enough room in there forspare batteries.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:32 AM   #7

try here. i have the leads descrip you need.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80
Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:38 AM   #8

here also. altho the bulb connection you don't need because you are using momentary switches. in bulb mode just holding the shutter button down will keep the shutter. if you are making very long ex then you might want to use this ..

http://www.peeters.com/300d.html

roy
Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:53 AM   #9

I'm sure there will be very few times I'll use the toggle in normal situations. Most situations won't warrant any more than the 30 second exposure that can be set in camera. I hope to do some astrophotography in the near future so the toggle will come in handy then.

Thanks for providing the wiring diagram, Robar; it is one of the easier ones to follow. I saw a few on the web but they looked so complex they didn't capture the easeof this project.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 12:03 PM   #10

Will this work for the DS, too?
Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote