Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 4, 2006, 5:13 PM   #1

Hi, am new to this forum and thought I should introduce myself. I have recently bought a Pentax *ist DL2 and am still learning how to use it, finding it very different from my old digital camera which was one of the well known slr TYPE ones and very easy to use. This is far more complex than I could have imagined and I have lots to learn.

I bought a Sigma 70 - 300 f4-5.6 lens to go with it within a fortnight of having it as I love to photograph wildlife and the standard lens just wouldn't be good enough for some of the shots I enjoy.

Anyway, I am including (I hope) one of my shots with this post, just hope I can get it right posting an image. LOL!

Would like to hear comments and constructive criticizm. The photo is of my neighbour's Japanese Akita which I am actually rather scared of and he ain't too keen on me either for some reason but they were out in the car park with him a couple of days ago and as he's such a beauty, I took advantage of the situation. He was ok with me then, think he enjoyed being a model! lol!

I have cropped, resized and sharpened slightly. Enjoy.

Alison
Attached Images

alibunnylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2006, 6:12 PM   #2

Well done! Focus is great--lots of detail
Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 6:17 PM   #3

alison,
welcome to the board...!!! we always need new people. this shot of the akita seems like you've taken to the DL2 like a fish to water!!!!!

as far as the dog sensing the way youfeel, i can assure you they can. not only thru bodylanguage but pheromones also.

again, welcome aboard,
roy
Old Jun 4, 2006, 6:19 PM   #4

forgot to ask. what did you upgrade from?? me,film MX and a fuji s7000, which i still have.

roy
Old Jun 4, 2006, 6:44 PM   #5

robar wrote:
Quote:
forgot to ask. what did you upgrade from?? me,film MX and a fuji s7000, which i still have.

roy

I had a Minolta Dimage Z5 which was a good camera but just not quite enough for me if you know what I mean, I wanted to be able to experiment even more and for it to be more challenging. With the Z5, what you saw in the viewfinder was literally how the shot would turn out whereas with the DL2, you have to work at it and experiment more to get it right.

I get an awful lot of over and underexposed shots at the moment but am still in the very early learning stages. I even found it easier with my old film slr in a way but this is certainly a challenge and I can't see me getting bored with it any time soon. Usually I get bored within a couple of months, have actually had four digital cameras in the past two years including this new one now.

I wanted a DSLR right from the word go though but couldn't afford it, I got lucky and won enough money on a quiz show to be able to buy the DL2, can't believe I finally have a DSLR1 lol!

Alison
Old Jun 4, 2006, 7:51 PM   #6

i wanted the K/M a1 because i couldn't spring for the D. at 1300 it was just too far out there. but w/the DS it came into reach. the fuji,very similar to the Z is a great cam but i knew it would never give me the satisfaction i needed. the DS answered all my dreams.. you now have the use of 50 years of any pentax mount lens + all the screw mount lenses ever produced.. i've read thats about 27,000,000 lenses.. i don't see how you could possibly get bored.. please watch out for the dreaded LBA tho. i seem to have it pretty bad but i've got a reign on it now.. just need that 500mm and 10mm and the 77mm limited and the ........truly!! it's under control now.. ah, did i mention the 31 limited??

roy
Old Jun 4, 2006, 9:10 PM   #7

Nice Shot Alison,

Based on the depth of field and the lovely sharp focus, I assume you used the 70-300 at about 250-300mm to keep a bit of distance from the dog.. :-)

Did you shoot in landscape or rotate to portrait for the shot?

In protrait, that would have allowed you to frame the shot and not have to crop it. But having said that it looks like the dog was enjoying the sun too..

Where in the mighty UK are you from, may family is from all over from Shepherds Bush to Lowestoft and Hull.
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 11:06 PM   #8

Welcome to the Forum. That Is one great picture. You seem to have made the transition very well

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 2:55 AM   #9

Welcome!

It's really good work to get the focus so right. I bet the dog is a nice guy, after all.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 10:23 AM   #10

Ok, firstly, what is "the dreaded LBA?" lol!

Secondly, I shot the dog (not literally of course! lol!) in landscape, hence the need to crop, which is a shame really as I hate altering images to be honest.

I am in sunny Bournemouth, live right near the sea and Bournemouth Gardens so always plenty to photograph (though I always seem to end up at the duck pond for some reason! lol!)

Thirdlly, thank you all for the lovely welcome and comments.

Fourth and finally, the jury's still out on the dog being a nice chap after all! rofl! I'm sure he is, I'm just very wary cos I did once have a close call with an Akita, guess it's caused a bit of a mental block.

Alison