Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 4, 2006, 8:21 PM   #1

what is the main difference?

which one should i use for everyday shooting?

thanks.

lgbalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2006, 8:53 PM   #2

adobe!! if you shoot in raw. gives a lot more color resolution..
Old Jun 4, 2006, 9:24 PM   #3

if i don't shoot in raw i should use sRGB?
lgbalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 9:46 PM   #4

AdobeRGB provides more space for storing colour infomration for printing and viewing.

Set up a nice colourful scene and take 2 shots, one with sRGB and one with AdobeRGB, then compare them side by side and you will see the difference. I found that after changing to Adobe RGB my images seemed a lot more deeper and richer. I shoot all RAW and JPEG in AdobeRGB.

Secondly, some places don't print with AdobeRGB. So if you plan on printing images with Adobe RGB, find a photolab that supports them.

A lot of the photo shops you go to have the machines to put your memory card into to select what images you want printred. Ask them first if they support AdobeRGB colour spacing, if they do they will know.

I just went out and found a shop that did AdobeRGB and if I want print I go there.

If I get stuck I can open the image in PSE4 and under the "Image" tab select "Convert colour profile", "Apply sRGB", then save and off to any local shop for printing. :|

This image is untouched off of the camera other than resizing. (ISO400, 1/320sec f4, Pentax-Takumar 300mm/f4)
Attached Images

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 10:40 PM   #5

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
AdobeRGB provides more space for storing colour infomration for printing and viewing.

Set up a nice colourful scene and take 2 shots, one with sRGB and one with AdobeRGB, then compare them side by side and you will see the difference. I found that after changing to Adobe RGB my images seemed a lot more deeper and richer. I shoot all RAW and JPEG in AdobeRGB.

Secondly, some places don't print with AdobeRGB. So if you plan on printing images with Adobe RGB, find a photolab that supports them.

A lot of the photo shops you go to have the machines to put your memory card into to select what images you want printred. Ask them first if they support AdobeRGB colour spacing, if they do they will know.

I just went out and found a shop that did AdobeRGB and if I want print I go there.

If I get stuck I can open the image in PSE4 and under the "Image" tab select "Convert colour profile", "Apply sRGB", then save and off to any local shop for printing. :|

This image is untouched off of the camera other than resizing. (ISO400, 1/320sec f4, Pentax-Takumar 300mm/f4)
could not of said it better!! wish i knew how to type.........

for the web i always save as uncalibrated.....
Old Jun 6, 2006, 8:18 AM   #6

I have a question about using Photoshop. I have the DL set as RGB just now. All of my pictures apear MUCH darker on-screen in Photoshop than in Paint Shop Pro, Pentax Photo Browser, or any of my other Photo-type applications. Would it help to switch to Abobe setting on camera? Do I need to do some calibration that sets levels approriately? What am I missing? It appears to be a display issue of some kind because pictures cropped and saved in either application look same when compared side to side in each application (if that makes sense).

Cheers, Mike
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 3:49 PM   #7

mgedit wrote:
Quote:
I have a question about using Photoshop. I have the DL set as RGB just now. All of my pictures apear MUCH darker on-screen in Photoshop than in Paint Shop Pro, Pentax Photo Browser, or any of my other Photo-type applications. Would it help to switch to Abobe setting on camera? Do I need to do some calibration that sets levels approriately? What am I missing? It appears to be a display issue of some kind because pictures cropped and saved in either application look same when compared side to side in each application (if that makes sense).

Cheers, Mike
mike,
have you set your adobe gamma settings. control panel>adobe gamma?double left clik
Old Jun 6, 2006, 4:26 PM   #8

I did try to adjust the gamma settings but following the wizard gets me no where ... after adjusting the contrast and brightness as instructed, the centre box in the gamma setting never "fades" as it is supposed to when you adjust the slider. My monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 193s (Flat Panel), which I assume I should also be able to set up using the same set of commands. Is it possible to download gamma settings for specific monitors? ... I'll do a goggle search as see.

Cheers, Mike
Old Jun 6, 2006, 5:34 PM   #9

there are but i haven't a clue where. this is a really involved question. research. i've just printed 6-7 enlargements and i can tell i need to recalibrate mine... from everything i've read and heard, unless you have a VERY good flatpanel a crt will do better. i THINK(?) that a flatpanel will not display near as many colors as a crt.

roy
Old Jun 6, 2006, 5:48 PM   #10

You may be right about the display potential but I normally run 1280x1024 resolution and 32 bit colour. Seems Adobe definitely treats colour differently than many (all??) other photo and graphics programs. I'll do some searches to see if I can find a preset. The ones in Adobe Gamma than look like they are for Samsung monitors produce error messages when I try to load them.

Cheers, Mike